Author Topic: Inexpensive thermocouple for DIY reflow oven?  (Read 3504 times)

Offline UltraTrunksTopic starter

• Contributor
Inexpensive thermocouple for DIY reflow oven?
« on: August 25, 2014, 04:16:38 am »
I may be under the wrong impression here, but I'm assuming that thermocouples should, or at least could be a very inexpensive part.  I'm building a reflow oven but I can't seem to find a part under $15.  Here's the cheapest I've found that will meet the temperature requirements.  That'll be the most expensive part in the project.  And I'm including the toaster oven cost as well. :-//

Am I looking in the wrong place, or are thermocouples just expensive?

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Re: Inexpensive thermocouple for DIY reflow oven?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 04:24:23 am »
eBay
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 04:35:13 am »
God I hate eBay, but I see there are some cheap thermocouples there.  I never really think to look on ebay for parts.  I guess it'll do.  Curious as to why you can't find reasonably priced thermocouples from the standard resellers like Digi-Key?

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 04:43:41 am »
I guess I need to widen my net a bit when parts hunting to beyond the stardard parts places (eg Mouser, Digikey).  Looks like I found what I need on Amazon.  More comfortable shopping on Amazon than eBay any how.

http://www.amazon.com/Type-Thermocouple-0-250C-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B005CG2W3U/ref=pd_sim_indust_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0A19RF79Z1X0FEGFCNCD

Offline charlespax

• Regular Contributor
    • Pax Instruments
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 05:02:05 am »
Here's a stainless steel probe type on dealextreme. They have worked just fine for me, but I have received a broken one once. Maybe a 10% failure rate.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 05:18:02 am »
I guess I need to widen my net a bit when parts hunting to beyond the stardard parts places (eg Mouser, Digikey).  Looks like I found what I need on Amazon.  More comfortable shopping on Amazon than eBay any how.

http://www.amazon.com/Type-Thermocouple-0-250C-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B005CG2W3U/ref=pd_sim_indust_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0A19RF79Z1X0FEGFCNCD

Good. As long as your horizon has widened. There's a lot of stuff out there!

Just as an example, I wanted to "exercise" rc airplane servos without the radio and receiver.

Just a few seconds on eBay and I found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221456290122?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

How can you possibly compete with that? There's a PCB, an enclosure, a pot, LEDs, a switch, connectors and a microcontroller.

I'd spend more money just to eat the food to give my brain the calories to think about designing it myself!

Nowadays when I think I need "x", I look on eBay first.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline jeremy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 06:03:13 am »
All you pay for with thermocouples (in my experience) is their cal and material purity. If you're putting this thing on a smelter full of platinum, spending $100 makes sense ;) but for just a home reflow oven the eBay ones are perfectly fine. A few degrees error is probably less than the error caused by uneven heating.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf