Author Topic: Info needed on Pace desolder base and handpieces  (Read 4042 times)

Offline precaudTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
Info needed on Pace desolder base and handpieces
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:38:45 pm »
While scrounging in the garage yesterday looking for something else, I found these Pace pieces in the bottom of a box. Looks like I bought them in 2004 and then completely forgot about 'em! I'm guessing they might be a tad better than the Ungar setup I've been using forever, so I'd like to get more info on exactly what this stuff is.

The base is labeled as a PPS 17. I have done several internet searches for a manual and found no info on this model.

The "Sodr-x-tractor" handpiece has no model number anywhere on it. The collection tube, which I'm guessing should be either glass or metal, is a rubber cylinder, torn on one end, and needs to be replaced. Anyone know what model number this is?

The "Thermopik" also has no model number on it. It appears to be complete.

Both units heat up and the base temperature control works.

Judging by the hose and fitting on the base, it appears this was meant to be used with "shop air", a compressor. Are there alternatives? I have a small compressor but it is incredibly noisy and I'd rather not have in the room. My Ungar desolderer uses an internal pump of some sort, it is quiet and has proven to be adequate.

Any help with identification, source for manuals, and vacuum setup would be appreciated.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Re: Info needed on Pace desolder base and handpieces
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:46:04 pm »
This is a desolder system,  and cost a lot of money

You need vacuum pump, not compressor
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:01:44 am by ebclr »

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 10:27:19 pm »
This is a desolder system,  and cost a lot of money

You need vacuum pump, not compressor

It needs a compressor.

Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

The following users thanked this post: ebclr

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 01:14:57 am »
It also appears to be missing the "Visifilter".  This is a two part plastic holder for what looks like disks of coffee filter material.  It goes inline with the  suction tube.

Most Pace desoldering hand pieces had glass extraction tubes.  I've seen the silicone rubber ones also.

An aluminum metal strip (a baffle) bent into a long  "S" shape  goes in the tube and there is a filter that looks like a wide cigarette filter sticks in the tube near then end.

BTW, "Pace" means "You want how much for that part!!!".   I once bought 25 pounds of (non-standard sized) pyrex tubing to make my own extraction chambers. It was on closeout from a tubing company and cost less than what Pace wanted for two chambers.  I cut the chambers with a tubing cutter and fire polished the ends with a torch.  I sold quite a few of those on Ebay.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 01:55:34 am »
Back a few years, Pace, Weller & Royel (Oz company) were just about the only desoldering tools you could get.
I always found the Pace ones were a bit big & clunky compared to the others, but their advantage was always easy availability of parts (although expensive ones).

All the ones I saw except the Weller had internal electrically operated vacuum pumps.
The Weller had a bottle of compressed air on a trolley.

The TV studio did have compressed air reticulated throughout the building (originally for the older videotape machines), but it was rarely where you wanted it.

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 02:40:47 am »
Alex Eisenhut: Thanks for confirmation that is is compressed-air operated.

texaspyro: Thanks for the "Visifilter" info. There were some other things in the box (a Metcal station with no handpiece, a bunch of Hakko 900-series handpieces, misc. junk); I'll take alook, perhaps it's in there. The "long S-shape" strip is inside the rubber tube, as is a well-used felt filter. (The filter looks to be the same size that my Ungar desolder handpiece uses. I have spares.) Good story on the glass tubes! You're clever and resourceful  :)

Yes, I've heard Pace parts are expensive. But if they're uber-reliable, I can handle that. My Ungar 4624 has been flawless with daily use for over 12 years. Still using the same soldering tip, and on the second desolder tip. Can't ask for better than that.

So I still need to find out the model number for some of these.
PPS 17 nets nothing in the way of info. Pace systems numbers from last decade seem to be in the form ST-xx. Such as ST-25, ST-65, etc. What is this one? Any ideas?
The ThermoPik looks like a TP-65 in a Youtube video. Only two versions of that, it appears; single and dual.
There have been several versions of Sodr-x-tractor. The closest one appearance-wise is the SX-70. Why doesn't Pace put a model number on their equipment? It's needed to order parts.

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 03:02:21 am »

Good story on the glass tubes! You're clever and resourceful  :)

Nope, just a cheap bastard.

I needed replacement parts for a bunch of Pace desoldering tools.   I bid on a Pace PRC-2000 (aka PPS400) system at a local industrial liquidation auction.   The auction listing failed to mention there were a couple dozen  systems in the lot... new they cost around $6000 each fully equipped.  I've had the same "unmentioned bonus lots" happen a few times.

The Pace tools come in two versions... the Sensatemp tools have a built in thermocouple (I think there are also Sensatemp 2 tools).   The cruder tools run open-loop without temperature feedback.   Most are 24V heaters.   Some early models use 120V heaters.   I have seen SX-60, 65, 70, 80, and 90 tools.  I think the "mini" station uses an SX50 or 55 that can run on 12V.

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 07:09:11 pm »
FWIW, the handpieces are both SensaTemp II.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the gist I'm getting is, unless I'm setting up for serious volume desoldering work, these might be overkill, and I might be better off staying with the Ungar setup.

Is that an accurate read?

If so, then I be better off selling it.

Offline rmacintosh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 10:53:50 pm »
You indeed have an SX-70 sodr-x-tractor handpiece as well as the TP-65 thermopik. Both sensatemp, not only by their labelling but by the black connectors. The other style is Intelliheat which would have blue connector.

This unit needs an external air connection, newer ones have small vacuum pump which very convenient although it can be a bit loud. The lower connection is the suction, the upper knob increases/decreases the suction by the rotary action and the center hole exhausts the air.

We had the thermopik at work and have found them to be highly useless. Hot air and tweezers works better IMO. That, and you have to buy a specific tip for every type of SMD package you plan to use it with......and those tips are $$$

The sodr-x-tractors are excellent, but as you said, if you're not doing high volume probably overkill.

If you want the set complete to sell you'd need the following:

The below 4 items make up the attached visi-filter assy.
1259-0087-P1 - Hose fitting quick disconnect
1325-0003-07-P1 - 1" tubing
1309-0028-P1 - Visifilter
1309-0027-P10 / P25 - Visifilter elements 10 / 25 qty

You already have a quickdisconnect (red circled in picture) with tubing attached to go to one side of the visifilter and each handpiece has a fitting terminating the black tubing (green circled in picture).

You may already have a complete glass chamber in the sx-70, unless the broken one pictured is what you removed. The back end of the handpiece comes off by pushing the spring loaded latch and rotating.
If you have no chamber you'd also need:

4010-0033-P1 - s baffle for glass chamber
1265-0009-P1 - glass chamber fox sx-70
1309-0018-P10 / P50 - filter for glass chamber 10 / 50 qty

The following users thanked this post: precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 01:48:43 am »
rmacintosh, thank you for the excellent information. That really helps. It is making more sense to me to pass this on to someone who can make good use of it, and when the time comes to replace the Ungar, get another unit with an internal vac pump. There is no way I can live with a compressor in the room.

Since we're on a roll identifying things... here are the other items in the box. A bunch of Hakko soldering irons, some of them labeled 900; and a Metcal PS2E-01 station (no handpiece).

The irons all have the same 5-pin DIN plugs, so I assume they're all for the same Hakko base. Which one? Are these 24V? Can I check them without the station?

Similarly, can I check if the Metcal station works without a handpiece?

Any help appreciated!

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 01:53:00 am »
Another thing to be aware of with Pace equipement...  the power transformers are almost always have single voltage primaries.  The models that work on 220V usually have an "E" (for export) in the part number.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 06:07:11 am »
rmacintosh, thank you for the excellent information. That really helps. It is making more sense to me to pass this on to someone who can make good use of it, and when the time comes to replace the Ungar, get another unit with an internal vac pump. There is no way I can live with a compressor in the room.

Could you live with a bottle of compressed air like the Weller I mentioned used?
If you are not doing stuff in commercial quantities, the bottle may last for a reasonably long time..
Since we're on a roll identifying things... here are the other items in the box. A bunch of Hakko soldering irons, some of them labeled 900; and a Metcal PS2E-01 station (no handpiece).

The irons all have the same 5-pin DIN plugs, so I assume they're all for the same Hakko base. Which one? Are these 24V? Can I check them without the station?

Similarly, can I check if the Metcal station works without a handpiece?

Any help appreciated!

Some of the early Hakkos were pretty dire, compared to the last few generations.

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 11:47:05 am »
Could you live with a bottle of compressed air like the Weller I mentioned used?
If you are not doing stuff in commercial quantities, the bottle may last for a reasonably long time..

Ah, I overlooked that. Interesting idea. I suppose it's possible, but it depends, how big a bottle are we talking? How often would it need to be reloaded? The label on the station says it wants a regulated 80psi.

In terms of my use habits, I solder every day, but desolder in spurts, maybe once or twice a week.

Some of the early Hakkos were pretty dire, compared to the last few generations.

Ah. I have no experience with Hakko. The white-handled ones say "900M" in small print. The black ones have no identifying marks, but look like 907 handpieces I saw in some pictures last night. I found a label in the box that says 2004, that is when I bought this box of goodies.

I can just put 24VAC across the heater pins to test these irons, yes?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf