Author Topic: Intractable fwrite problem in C! Please help!  (Read 4757 times)

Offline PauloConstantinoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Intractable fwrite problem in C! Please help!
« on: May 30, 2017, 11:38:27 am »
Hello. I've been having the most non sense problem ever in a C program.

This program is a simple compiler that compiles a sequence of 0's and 1's and creates a binary file that contains these sequences.

An example of what it compiles is this:

0x19: 00001010;

It reads the 0x19, and records it. It's the instruction code. Then it starts reading the sequence of 4 blocks of 0's and 1's.

It saves these into arrays, and then uses fwrite to write the sequences to a binary file. The dilema is that the array itself is correct, but when the binary file is created the error occurs. The array has all the correct elements in order. I've tried writing one char at a time with a loop rather than writing the whole array at once with fwrite, but the same happens.

My problem is that the function writes the binary file correctly up to a point, but it writes the last bytes incorrectly. It puts a 0D in front of the numbers it is supposed to write. I have no idea why this is happening and I been trying to solve this for days now.

The corresponding line in the binary file is: 0D 0A

As you can see there's a 0D in front of 0A. That should not be there at all.

I don't know if fwrite is making a confusion and writing an integer rather than a char to the file at that point. All my variables are unsigned chars, and I declare them as chars in fwrite.

Can anyone please shed me a light on what might be happening?

My code is a bit too complex to post here. It's an interpreter to interpret the text and write the bin file.

Thank you a lot if you can help :)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:40:02 am by PauloConstantino »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Intractable fwrite problem in C! Please help!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 11:53:17 am »
Open file in binary mode. You are seeing consequence of using regular ("text") mode and newline translation.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/229924/difference-between-files-writen-in-binary-and-text-mode

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 11:57:37 am »
You are spot on. I had just found the problem a while ago! I was using w+ rather than w+b. Been struggling for days with this trying to find what it could possibly be !!!

Thank you anyway. You would have saved me anyway. I REALLY appreciate it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 12:01:13 pm »
0D0A is windows text format for line feed, carriage return (0D) is required upfront "\r\n". in linux, only line feed (0A) is required "\n"...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:03:00 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 12:10:14 pm »
Well the 0A was expected. It was what was compiled. The problem was the 0D which was being added in front of it.... Sometimes it also added 00 00. and sometimes 0D 00 00.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 03:34:03 pm »

ahahahaha

This is what you get for trying to write programs on Windows/DOS instead of a programmer's machine running some kind of Un*x (Linux, OSX, BSD, blah blah blah).

As other have said, you need binary mode.

Everything except Microsoft (ok, or RSTS/E or VMS on ancient DEC hardware) *only* has binary mode.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 03:49:05 pm »
Everything except Microsoft (ok, or RSTS/E or VMS on ancient DEC hardware) *only* has binary mode.
... until it connects to the internet and issues an HTTP request or sends a SMTP message. All the internet protocols require CR/LF because that was the original way lines were formatted before Unix changed it.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 04:03:52 pm »
... until it connects to the internet and issues an HTTP request or sends a SMTP message. All the internet protocols require CR/LF because that was the original way lines were formatted before Unix changed it.

That's ok because you just explicitly code "HELO\r\n" or whatever and everyone is happy.

The other fun thing is *reading* a file, and having everything grind to a halt because there's an 0x1A byte in your binary data. Or, possibly, 0x00.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 05:56:12 pm »
Yes, it sounds plausible that UNIX is the OS which is 'wrong' or messed up here. Teletype machines and line printers need a CR/LF to be sent to start a new line too. If you only sent a LF then then it would scroll down one line and continue printing in the same position but one line down the page. Sending "X/LF X/LF X/LF" would result in a diagonal line of X's on the page.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 06:04:24 pm »
I said it changed the convention, not that it's necessarily wrong! Having a single symbol represent a new line is much nicer for a range of reasons. It happens not to be the same as the standard practice that evolved in the 1960s (based on devices like teletypes) and was embedded in the internet protocols from the very beginning until today.

Only a few years after the arpanet project began, CRT terminals were widespread that could just as easily use a single symbol line separator. The fact that we now have CR/LF for all the internet protocols could be viewed as an unhappy accident.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 07:02:40 pm »

ahahahaha

This is what you get for trying to write programs on Windows/DOS instead of a programmer's machine running some kind of Un*x (Linux, OSX, BSD, blah blah blah).

nOPE. UNIX HAS IT WRONG.
CR (0X10) Is just that : carriage return. move the print head to beginning of line .
LF (0x13) is Line Feed : move to next line.

if you just keep sending one of them you either get all output overwriting the same line or
Code: [Select]
text
     that
          looks
                     this

so you do need a CR LF pair. to move to beginning of next line.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 08:33:15 pm »

ahahahaha

nOPE. UNIX HAS IT WRONG.
CR (0X10) Is just that : carriage return. move the print head to beginning of line .
LF (0x13) is Line Feed : move to next line.

if you just keep sending one of them you either get all output overwriting the same line or
Code: [Select]
text
     that
          looks
                     this

so you do need a CR LF pair. to move to beginning of next line.

Don't forget to put a few NULs after that LF, to give the print head time to get back to the left side, sepending on how long the previous line was.

OR, we could forget about the foibles of a 1950s teletype and just use an abstract interface for end of line and let each device driver implement it in the most appropriate way.

The number of times you actually want to drop to the next line and continue printing from the same character position is basically zero[1]. On the other hand, it used to be reasonably common to overprint things to make bold type. So it makes some kind of sense at least to have LF go to the start of the next line, and CR go to the start of the same line. In that case LF can be the normal line separator, but extra CRs along with it, either before or after, don't hurt anything.

[1] drawing diagonal lines. But only in one direction unless you put in a few backspaces. In which case you're probably going to want to have reverse-LF available as well.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 08:57:02 pm »
Don't forget to put a few NULs after that LF, to give the print head time to get back to the left side, sepending on how long the previous line was.
no worry modern teletypes have enough cache to store commands and wait the sensor to detect head's position. for a simple CR can get into OS warcraft :palm: lets be fair, CR has been misused in simple text format, without it txt files can be a bit smaller in bytes size, this put linux txt format some advantage. what i hate most is i have to translate linux txt to win txt everytime i want to view it in my xp notepad :palm:
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 09:56:05 pm »
Or we could forget about the foibles of a 1950s teletype and just use an abstract interface for end of line and let each device driver implement it in the most appropriate way.

que : unix and 'c' ... both old muckery on obsolete hardware. ( both were designed on teletypes... )

CR and LF are incorporated in the ASCII standard ... you can't willly nilly go redefining that... Cr and LF are for printer/screen control

in 'c' syntax' :

CR : \R
LF : \N
new line : \R\N
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 10:11:48 pm »
CR and LF are incorporated in the ASCII standard ... you can't willly nilly go redefining that... Cr and LF are for printer/screen control
So are the other 30 defined control codes. Do you feel a pang that Unit Separator or End Of Medium are no longer recognized, too?

Offline DBecker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 11:14:12 pm »
I find it amusing that this line of argument was dead and buried when I started using Unix... 35 years ago.  It was the role of the tty driver to translate from the control symbol the to the output character.

A C implementation was free to select what '\n' was stored as, at the cost of doing extra work in the library to match the underlying implementation.  C and Unix were developed simultaneously, so they avoided making implementation choices that resulted in extra work.  MSDOS had the fortune of years of experience, but still chose poorly (and stuck with their bad decision with religious fervor).

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 11:28:27 pm »
So are the other 30 defined control codes. Do you feel a pang that Unit Separator or End Of Medium are no longer recognized, too?
well you dont take it seriously when a sharp hardware guy went nuts on some computing standards, most probably due to past experience trauma on some other specific OS. we all went through this kind of experience at some point in our life, at some other aspects in one way or another.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 09:24:33 am »
Writing CRLF in text files is one of the most boneheaded decisions ever taken in computing history.

It's caused decades of bugs and extra, unnecessary code (and it's not finished yet!)

There was never a time where the printer driver couldn't be configured to send CRLF when the hardware required it. Some printers even had switches to select what they received.

nb. The correct character to use to start a new line is LF. There are legitimate cases when you would want to send a CR without a LF (mostly on CRTs, eg. for a progress counter where you want to overwrite the current line). I can't think of a reason you'd want to send LF without a CR.

/rant

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 03:17:10 pm »
By the time terminals evolved beyond the "glass TTY" stage to fully-addressable displays (before the 1980s), they had large command sets to output characters in any desired pattern, along with multiple fonts, text styles, and even graphics, in a standard format over the ASCII serial port. No control codes were used for these features except ESC: the older meanings were already obsolete. Many of their features are not even supported in today's terminal emulators (like double height or width characters). This was all 40 years ago.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf