Author Topic: inverting converter, EMI concern  (Read 1012 times)

Offline sdoubleTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
inverting converter, EMI concern
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:11:50 pm »
Dear All,
i'm back to you about some concern about an inverting regulator that i'm designing currently.
That pretty much far from my usual business.
Basically the idea is to generate a 120 to 200 V (adjustable) negative voltage from a 9 V source. I need to pipe out only 1 to 5 uA.. so basically nothing.
I ended up with the following design.

I have a major concern about EMI. The circuit should be really quiet.
I reduced drastically  the current driven by the regulator (about 80mA only) but the voltage tripler leads to a long return path for the current.
every comment or advice are very much welcome.
J.

• Frequent Contributor
Re: inverting converter, EMI concern
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 04:29:51 pm »
no idea ?  :popcorn:

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:05:23 pm »
If you have a 100Meg ohm load, then a few RC filter stages with high value resistors will not drop much voltage, just be careful of microphonics if using MLCCs in the output filter.

A couple of poles of the 1M/100nF sort feels appropriate, this kind of thing is commonplace in capacitor microphones.

Regards, Dan.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:45:15 am »
agreed, but my concern was more related to radiated noise.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 08:10:56 am »
Radiation depends upon how the device is built; you've shown us nothing to comment on, as far as how much it will radiate.

That leaves general advice: build it on ground plane, and place the CW stack, in particular C12 (is that what it is? I can't tell, the labels are such a mess) near U2, R7 and C1.

More importantly though, the LTC3863 control loop is not compatible with a capacitive load inverter.  Note that, when the transistor turns on, there is a direct, instantaneous path (through diodes and capacitors) to the output, capable of ~unlimited peak current flow.

You need very little average power, so it's probably not noticeable anyway (it'll always be in burst mode, except during startup which will be much slower than expected), but it's not good practice.  The direct consequence of this is low efficiency.

Preferred method is a tapped inductor.  Coilcraft for example have coupled inductors in modest ratios, like 1:3 and 1:10, in the LPR and other series.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf