Author Topic: Know of an SOT89 vreg with this pinout?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline sleemanjTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Know of an SOT89 vreg with this pinout?
« on: January 20, 2018, 11:39:54 am »
So, yeah, I farked the pattern for a the HT7550 regulator on a bunch of boards, swapped Gnd and Vout.

This is what it is supposed to be....

This is what I put on the boards  |O

The specs of this reg are not critical in the slightest, so if I can find one with the pin out I used it would solve the problem... but try as I might I can't find any SOT-89, or even SOT-23 (I could make it fit easily I think) that match my screwed up pin out.

So, anyway, I figure it's worth posting to see if anybody knows of one, don't care if it's a name-brand or some dark chinese part, I'm sure I'm not the first person to make this particular cock up.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Know of an SOT89 vreg with this pinout?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 03:28:42 pm »
No idea offhand, but if you need rework options, the correct part can be placed upside down, or tilted at an angle so the leads touch.  Obviously this will have shit power dissipation, which could be enhanced by tacking on a copper flag.  Or if there's space opposite the pins, it can be placed flat on the board, rotated 180, again not having much dissipation but at least it's not a faff.

Is there a TO-92 version of that part?

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline sleemanjTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 09:24:21 pm »

Is there a TO-92 version of that part?

Tim

Yes,  I had that same idea, and probably will do a bodged to-92 surface mount if it comes to that.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline phil from seattle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:36:26 am »
In the realm of hackery, go dead bug style.  Turn the chip over, bend the pins and tab down and use wires if that's not enough.  It's ugly, will work and earns you serious EE hacker cred. I rescued more than one disaster that way.  Mostly just to keep going debugging a board. Post pictures and put one up in your work space to remind you to verify your chip footprint before send the PCB off to be fabbed.

But for peace of mind and order in the universe, reorder the PCB...

Offline slugrustle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 05:53:33 am »
I wonder if there is any physical or design reason for certain pinouts.

There are 6 permutations:

{Vi, GND, Vo}
{Vi, Vo, GND}
{GND, Vi, Vo}
{GND, Vo, Vi}
{Vo, Vi, GND}
{Vo, GND, Vi}

AP2204 https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/AP2204.pdf
comes in three of the permutations: {Vi, GND, Vo}, {GND, Vi, Vo}, and {Vo, GND, Vi}

AZ1117C https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/AZ1117C.pdf
comes in two of the permutations: {GND, Vo, Vi} (new) and {GND, Vi, Vo} (shared with AP2204)

I spent some time looking and haven't seen either {Vi, Vo, GND} or {Vo, Vi, GND}.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 06:57:35 am »
Tab is substrate, which is almost always the lowest potential (GND or output, or input for negative types), or the collector/drain (LDO and negative output).  Sometimes it doesn't have any relationship (or an obvious one, anyway).

The two (wirebonded) pins can be either way around, which is something you need to note carefully going between TO-220 and SOT-89 packages, which are often mirrored of each other (which...heh... well, now we have this thread I guess :-[ :P ).

That doesn't really rule out any permutations overall, but among just positive regulators you're very likely to see only 4 of those permutations.

I don't know why they sometimes swap the two pins, but it's clearly something to do with packaging.  Which means it's perhaps unlikely you'd find a SOT-89 that is pinned "wrong"... but who knows?  :-//

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline ArdWar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 05:30:41 am »
Not sure for Vo-Vi-GND.
But if it's Vi-Vo-GND, you might get away with 5-pin SOT-23 (assuming the usual center-pin = tab)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf