Author Topic: Lab Power Supply - The Lost Current  (Read 19924 times)

Online xavier60

• Super Contributor
Re: Lab Power Supply - The Lost Current
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2018, 11:29:32 pm »
I did some testing with my bench supply.
Connecting a 12v battery to the output with the correct polarity and the bench supply powered off did not cause any problem.
Connecting a 12v battery to the output with reverse polarity and the bench supply powered on caused it to current limit.
I had the CC set to 1 amp. Higher current settings would cause a much higher dissipation in the MOSFET because of the added voltage across it.
When I made the last tidied up PCB, I made provision for a BC548 plus some resistors and diodes that sense reverse polarity and clamp Gate drive. I have now added theses parts. So  now when more than 2v reverse voltage is applied to the output, the MOSFET is turned off.
I guess eventually the output capacitor will explode. I could replace it with ceramics but the capacitance varies too much with changing voltage.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:31:35 pm by xavier60 »
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

Offline radoczi94Topic starter

• Contributor
  • Electronics lover since 12y/o
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2018, 06:12:35 pm »
Hm, interesting. I don't know what will happen to the series pass element if it is a transistor. What will hapen to the circuit if it is on, and set to a voltage lower than the battery voltage? I guess, the CV opamp pulls down the gate, the mosfet closes and nothing happens.

Online xavier60

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2018, 09:02:14 pm »
Hm, interesting. I don't know what will happen to the series pass element if it is a transistor. What will hapen to the circuit if it is on, and set to a voltage lower than the battery voltage? I guess, the CV opamp pulls down the gate, the mosfet closes and nothing happens.
The CV op-amp will turn off the TIP142's. There should be no problem.
Btw, I don't understand the terms "open" and "close" with respect to transistor conduction states.
HP 54645A dso, Fluke 87V dmm,  Agilent U8002A psu,  FY6600 function gen,  Brymen BM857S, HAKKO FM-204, New! HAKKO FX-971.

The following users thanked this post: radoczi94

Offline radoczi94Topic starter

• Contributor
  • Electronics lover since 12y/o
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2018, 10:20:33 pm »
Btw, I don't understand the terms "open" and "close" with respect to transistor conduction states.
Sorry, the cause is probably the lack of my english knowledge. In hungarian, we open (turning on, forward biasing) and close (turning off, reverse biasing) a transistor or a diode. Thanks for the correction, I did not knew about this, will not use again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf