Author Topic: Laptop with express/3 card want to use parallel port to control DSP DSK board  (Read 1636 times)

Offline R_G_B_Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Laptop with express/3 interface I want to use parallel port to control DSP DSK board.

Do such adapters work with legacy devices such as a parallel port?

I would like to control and interface with a DSP development boards that communicates via the parallel port.

http://1sourcecomponents.com/store/product_info.php/texas-instruments-tmdsdsk33-tms320vc33-university-dsk-p-590890

if its possible can anyone recommend such a device which will work?

Thanks  |O

R_G_B

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:17:20 pm by R_G_B_ »
R_G_B

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
I have a SYBA SD-EXP50021 2 x Serial + 1 x Parallel Ports ExpressCard adapter which uses the Moschip/ASIX MCS9901 -- PCIe to Dual Serial and Single Parallel Controller. I forget why I originally bought.  It was probably either to use with a parallel LPT port interfaced device programmer (something from BP Microsystems), and/or maybe with an Altera ByteBlaster, with whatever Windows based software was normally used to control the device programmer.  I still have the SD-EXP50021 adapter but no longer have a laptop with an ExpressCard slot to check it out again. If I remember correctly it probably took a while of screwing around to get everything configured to work.

If you are looking at ExpressCard adapters with parallel LPT ports, make sure the chipset used in the adapter is a PCIe chipset such as the Moschip/ASIX MCS9901. Some ExpressCard adapters with parallel LPT ports use USB connected chipsets instead of PCIe chipsets and those almost certainly won't work for your application.

If the SYBA SD-EXP50021 is no longer available maybe try a StarTech EC1PECPS which is supposed to be based on the PLX/Oxford - OXPCIe952 chipset. Seems to be currently available around $50 in the US.

Good luck, you'll probably need it. :)

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
If you are looking at ExpressCard adapters with parallel LPT ports, make sure the chipset used in the adapter is a PCIe chipset such as the Moschip/ASIX MCS9901. Some ExpressCard adapters with parallel LPT ports use USB connected chipsets instead of PCIe chipsets and those almost certainly won't work for your application.

Yes, I looked into this a while ago and the vast majority of ExpressCard parallel port adapters were USB only, and would appear to the system strictly as a USB printer rather than an as a generic LPT port.  I did find one USB-LPT adapter that had a virtual LPT port driver, but it wasn't supported in Windows XP (this was pre-Win7 when I looked).  I could only find one PCIe expresscard for sale, and I think it was the same StarTech part that gslick mentioned.

As another option there's this USB-LPT project, which appears to support through Win7, but has some limitations due to the nature of USB stacks:

https://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~ygu/bastelecke/PC/USB2LPT/index.en.htm

Offline Pjotr

• Frequent Contributor
Yes it is hassle which cable works. USB cables definitely not. Often de software is programmed "at the steel" to say so and you need a native parallel port. I solved it the easy way for a comparable project by getting a second hand old business laptop from the HP - NC series. Came with a native serial port also :) Cost me less than $100. Maybe old, but more than fast enough for programming work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf