Author Topic: First time schematic for USB-C power detection  (Read 1048 times)

Offline StealthrtTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
First time schematic for USB-C power detection
« on: May 29, 2023, 02:37:41 am »
Hey all I am creating a PCB that allows me to detect when I plug in a tablet, laptop, etc. to my home made tablet organizer. It's difficult to see if it made a connection in the back since you place the tablet in the front and slide it back:

I'm using the INA219AxD and connecting the IN + and - between the 0.1/1% (PT2512FK-070R1L) resistor and having the - go to ground while the + is going to the VBUS_B line. I'm not real sure if this is the correct way to wire this in order to tell when a tablet is connected or not so that's why I need someone more knowledgeable to help me out.

The A0 and A1 will have different resistors so that the I2c knows which one is calling out. But not sure what is needed for the 42, 43 and 45 configuration:

0x40 = No solder
0x41 = Solder A0
0x42 = ?
0x43 = ?
0x44 = Solder A1
0x45 = ?
0x46 = Bridge A0 & A1

I modeled the INA219AxD from the Adafruit schematic:

​Here is my schematic:

So if you can lend me a hand/knowledge or let me know if I'm even correct as-is? Maybe there's a better way of doing this?

Offline adamcord

• Contributor
    • Personal Website
Re: First time schematic for USB-C power detection
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 01:24:05 pm »
Holy spaghetti batman. I didn't spend much time actually trying to decipher your circuit, because the schematic is a mess.
  • Leave some space around stuff. There's no pressure to fit it All On One Page, unless you're going for some kind of award.
  • Absolutely DO NOT run wires across schematic symbols! No "why not", just don't do it!
  • Using some net labels to jump between functional blocks without running wires all over the place can be good. The right balance between use of wires and net labels needs to be struck.

From what I can tell about your circuit, yeah that should be fine. Shunts, current sense amps, whack the signals into a micro, use the on-board ADC. Sure, why not. But clean up your schematic, make it more readable, then I'll come back and provide real feedback.

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 03:49:33 pm »
Hey all I am creating a PCB that allows me to detect when I plug in a tablet, laptop, etc. to my home made tablet organizer. It's difficult to see if it made a connection in the back since you place the tablet in the front and slide it back:

Hmm, this is a problem of your own making. I mean, you could plug the charge cable in, then slide the tablet back into the rack.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 11:59:52 pm »
Another option is to use magnetic cables, they self align and "click" into place quite well.

Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf