Author Topic: Looking for a project case  (Read 2113 times)

Offline cowasakiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Looking for a project case
« on: June 21, 2018, 11:00:29 pm »
I'm looking for something like this:

But I would like it to be around 300mm wide, 125mm tall and 250mm deep.  Does anyone know of such a thing?  I have a place that could make a metal box to fit but not sure how much a one off is going to cost!

Thanks.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
Re: Looking for a project case
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 11:29:40 pm »
This one is not quite big enough, but you might find something if you hunt.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Aluminum-Enclosure-power-supply-AMP-case-power-amplifier-box-chassis-DIY/142620461917?hash=item2134d78b5d:g:RuQAAOSw0e9Uv1AT

that is an enormous case btw!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 02:03:36 am »
The case you used as an illustration is a Hammond 1455 series case (Here: https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/small-case/extruded/1455. The widest in that series (across the width of the end plate) is 160mm and the deepest (tallest) is 52mm. I doubt that the clone versions of those come in any sizes other than the same as the ones Hammond produce so I'm sorry to say that if you want that particular look in the size range you're looking for you are probably out of luck.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline knapik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 04:35:21 am »
I was recently trying to find some aluminium project cases that were 150mm wide. I was searching all through ebay, aliexpress, different manufacturer websites but I couldn't really find what I wanted. I ended up finding one of the Hammond enclosures as pictured from Mouser at a pretty reasonable price, pretty much the same price I could've gotten something from aliexpress due to the high shipping cost.

Online rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 03:12:46 pm »
I don't think I've ever seen an extruded + end caps case that big. I think in that size all you will find is folded metal or maybe plastic. Here is a link to a supplier I've bought from before. Maybe you can find something that will work.

https://www.ebay.com/str/sunemallofmetal

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 04:26:54 pm »
Does it have to be extruded?

I found a company in CZ that will custom make Al cases and one off prototypes wasn't scary.  The last one I did I sent them a 3d step model of the PCB with the connectors etc. and they wrapped a case around it, they also laser marked the text though the powder coat too.

The website is a bit funky but found them easy to deal with, can take a few weeks to get the finished article though.

https://www.emko.cz

Offline cowasakiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 06:22:25 pm »
Does it have to be extruded?

I found a company in CZ that will custom make Al cases and one off prototypes wasn't scary.  The last one I did I sent them a 3d step model of the PCB with the connectors etc. and they wrapped a case around it, they also laser marked the text though the powder coat too.

The website is a bit funky but found them easy to deal with, can take a few weeks to get the finished article though.

https://www.emko.cz

No, not at all.  I just want something that looks good and is strong enough to build my project into.

Online KrudyZ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 07:14:16 pm »
You could gut some broken test equipment.
Might be cheaper and the older enclosures are usually of very high quality.
In addition, you might be able to reuse some of the hardware, like power switches and inlets.
OTOH, you will likely need to replace the front panel to fit your needs.

Offline chemelec

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 06:19:03 pm »
See if you can buy some sheet ABS Plastic, if you can you can fabricate a case of any size.
You can cut panels and glue them together with Acetone or MEK. (Methyl Ethyl Keytone)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:20:34 pm by chemelec »

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 07:33:00 pm »
Hammond 1401P might meet your spec, WxDxH 356mm x 254mm x 127mm, or Hammond 1426W 305mm x 254mm x 104mm.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 07:42:18 pm »
Automotive/Marine battery boxes come in sizes that should be close to two of your three dimensions. And some may be practical to cut down in the third.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf