Author Topic: Low Voltage Directive advice needed.  (Read 3019 times)

Offline peps1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • if you can't open it, you don't own it!
Low Voltage Directive advice needed.
« on: April 26, 2017, 04:34:02 pm »
Hello guys,

I would like to start selling a very small run of a product that have a C14 IEC Plug & 115/230Vac to 15v Transformer, so really need to brush up on the Low Voltage Directive!

Just wondered if anyone had some good resources for someone new to conformity testing, as I would rather design with the Directive in mind, then try and find solution after the design!

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
Re: Low Voltage Directive advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 05:18:47 pm »
I recommend getting a copy of the LVD, it is actually one of the more readable standards.
Or use a third party power brick and avoid it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 05:51:29 pm »
I recommend getting a copy of the LVD, it is actually one of the more readable standards.

Yep going through it now with a highlighter trying to find anything that applies.  :-+

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:09:23 pm »
Must admit, I had a look at the list of directives........thought to myself "Nahhhhhh!" and got a 3rd party to do the whole thing for me..........Just completed last week.........so you guys have much more patience than me!

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:20:50 pm »
Must admit, I had a look at the list of directives........thought to myself "Nahhhhhh!" and got a 3rd party to do the whole thing for me..........Just completed last week.........so you guys have much more patience than me!

Ian.

If you don't mind me asking, how expensive was it?

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:50:12 pm »

I used Barclay Phelps........I was quoted 500UKP but needed a 2nd directive not initially anticipated so total cost 765UKP.
For that I got the techical file complete which all I had to do was add a little technical info and sign the DoC.
I also got advice on how to use the DoC, technical file etc........i.e. would the complete CE newbie step forward.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 08:56:07 pm »

I used Barclay Phelps........I was quoted 500UKP but needed a 2nd directive not initially anticipated so total cost 765UKP.
For that I got the techical file complete which all I had to do was add a little technical info and sign the DoC.
I also got advice on how to use the DoC, technical file etc........i.e. would the complete CE newbie step forward.

Ian.
What did they actually do - was there any actual testing or was it all just paperwork?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 09:06:28 pm »
Then why not just getting an AC/AC or AC/DC brick?

Unfortunately power bricks are not an option here, mainly for aesthetic reasons over anything practical.

Thanks Ian, that way less then I was assuming, may look into that option just as a time saver! (though a large part of me want to get to grips with it myself to learn)

What did they actually do - was there any actual testing or was it all just paperwork?

Good question, but mainly just wanted to say I love your videos!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:03:05 am by peps1 »

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 09:16:10 pm »

Ian.

Paperwork only. Part of it is evaluating whether any testing is required.....in my case none.
So they asked me to fill in a long questionaire about the product and it's uses. they determine the directives applicable then produce all the documentation including the DoC (in my case EMC, RoHS & EN61326-1-2013 conformity statements).

Worked out fine for me as the time I would have lost learning & self-certifying it was worth more.

Ian.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 12:02:23 am »
Then why not just getting an AC/AC or AC/DC brick?
Unfortunately power bricks are not an option here, mainly for atheistic reasons over anything practical.
what it got to do with atheists?
:-DD sorry should have read aesthetics!

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 09:16:54 pm »
Unfortunately power bricks are not an option here, mainly for aesthetic reasons over anything practical.

Long shot but... how about a PC powersupply?
You still have to test of course but requires no design time / wiring issues / design file reponsibilities (I think?) since the iec just plugs straight in.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf