Author Topic: Made a hi-res pressure sensor matrix foil from cheap materials  (Read 1366 times)

Offline baltersiceTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Made a hi-res pressure sensor matrix foil from cheap materials
« on: September 19, 2017, 02:56:53 pm »

Cheap being a relative term ... Paid ~ 300 EUR for all the copper tape, but commercial units with lower resolution cost thousands.
Generally an interesting project, that I though was worth a video :)

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Made a hi-res pressure sensor matrix foil from cheap materials
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:42:38 pm »
Maybe capacitive sensing across a non-conducting soft material could be a better option.
Someone at the Hackaday Unconference last weekend showed this for pressure sensing in shoes to assist people with balance problems
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline baltersiceTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 04:49:52 pm »
Thought about that too! With a good uniform 'rubber' mat that compresses proportionally to weight I could just measure capacitance between both sides. But that's about as far as that idea went. Because I have no idea how that could be done economically.  :-//

Probably with vertical and horizontal stripes too? And then something ACish to one of 180 cols to measure miniscule ACish voltages on all rows?

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 05:05:30 pm »
There are plenty of capsensing solutions out there - may even be cheapest to have one chip per zone based on how many sensing lines it can deal with, and tile these as necessary. maybe just have sensing on one side to a common groundplane.

The nice thing about capacitance is it can be completely sealed from the compression medium so not rely on electrical contact, and the compression medium is probably going to be cheaper, and you have a much wider choice of materials.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline kosine

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 05:27:42 pm »
Could have been a nice application for quantum tunneling composite, but it never seems to have been made widely available. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling_composite) Used to be about 50p per 4x4x1mm "pill" in the UK, but no longer seems available.

Really cool stuff, just basically nickel filaments in a rubber binder. Resistance goes from near infinity to near zero with fingertip pressure. I think the original patents must have expired by now, so maybe it'll get a renaissance.

You can make a poor man's version with iron filing and latex, but you need to align the filings vertically with a magnet whilst the latex cures. (I've had reasonable success with a few seconds in a microwave.) Not as good as the QTC, and it rusts over time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf