Author Topic: Making moulded plastic DE-9 connectors  (Read 3661 times)

Offline vampi-the-frogTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Making moulded plastic DE-9 connectors
« on: February 23, 2015, 03:28:35 pm »
Hey guys. I'm trying to get some moulded plastic/rubber DE-9 connectors, similar to the ones on the Sega Genesis:

I can only find the metal version, which has the ears:

But these won't fit in the Sega. What I need is a short cable that has the molded DE-9 connector on one end, and a strain relief bit and a PCB connector on the other end.

So, I need some advice on finding a manufacturer for something like this. I only need about 50, for the first batch. I also need to manufacture the plastic case and the PCB for the other end.

What do I look for? What are the keywords? How do I select a manufacturer?

Thanks.

Offline gman4925

• Regular Contributor
Re: Making moulded plastic DE-9 connectors
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:00:37 pm »
It looks like you can get the whole controller from aliexpress for about US$3 ea in 10+ qty with shipping.
I'd suggest asking a seller to cut the controller off and send you the lead only and they will probably give you a discount because of reduced shipping volume.
Make sure you send a photo of exactly what you want as you are more likely to get the controller with the lead cut off rather than the lead on it's own.
Even at $3 each I think you will be hard pressed to find something cheaper that is the same.
I'm assuming the controller has all the wires in it, or at least the ones you need, otherwise this may not be a useable option.

In fact I looked a bit further and they also sell sega genesis controller extension cables for about $3 ea for 50+. Get them, cut in half, job done.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:26:49 pm »
Yeah, perhaps that's a good idea for the first batch, while I'm still testing the market. Thanks.

Eventually, I'll need cheap production, and other moldings as well, perhaps a custom molding, to include some circuits inside the mold.

Offline gman4925

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:42:40 pm »
If you buy some from aliexpress or alibaba you can normally ask the seller if they can do this for you.
They won't be the manufacturer but usually they can find the factory that has the moulds and act as a go-between.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 12:06:20 am »
Yes, I did look on alibaba.com and found a manufacturer for just such cables (in fact, they manufactured the extension cords, and they were below $0.5 a piece). So it is becoming clear how the product would be manufactured, but now I need to research the market, to see if there is a need for such a product.

It's a converter for USB game controllers to Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. There exists a similar product, that does the reverse: http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Genesis-PC-USB-Cable-Sega/dp/B0080RAT42/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Once I get my Mega Drive working, I can make a prototype, and perhaps make a video that I can show to people, and ask how many would like one and an estimate about the cost.

I'd also like to manufacture similar converters for other consoles later on.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 02:04:03 am »
and they were below $0.5 a piece

Sorry, I meant they were ress than a dorrar.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:15:47 am by vampi-the-frog »

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 03:04:23 am »
Hey guys. I'm trying to get some moulded plastic/rubber DE-9 connectors, similar to the ones on the Sega Genesis:

I can only find the metal version, which has the ears:

But these won't fit in the Sega. What I need is a short cable that has the molded DE-9 connector on one end, and a strain relief bit and a PCB connector on the other end.

So, I need some advice on finding a manufacturer for something like this. I only need about 50, for the first batch. I also need to manufacture the plastic case and the PCB for the other end.

What do I look for? What are the keywords? How do I select a manufacturer?

Thanks.

I'm more of a leg man, but

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/A-DFF09LPIII%2FFP-R/HFP09H-ND/924272

The plastic ears can be cut off without the connector falling apart. This is for ribbon cable but maybe they have more choice.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 03:24:19 am »
Searching on digikey is a good idea, but they're so expensive. for 50 pcs, $2/pcs, that's comparable to ordering in the $3 cables we talked about earlier, which seems more practical. So, they can kiss my Ass, mann.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:27:21 am by vampi-the-frog »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf