Author Topic: Microwave prototype presentation  (Read 5316 times)

Offline lodTopic starter

• Contributor
Microwave prototype presentation
« on: February 10, 2016, 11:39:58 am »
Hi All,

For a while I've been working on a new microwave concept.

I just did a presentation complete with prototype demo at the recent http://linux.conf.au and felt it may interest or amuse some people here.

It is a microwave with touch screen display, remote network access and a thermal camera which enables temperature based cooking.

Or can be downloaded from http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.conf.au/2016/04_Thursday/D4.303_Costa_Theatre/Linux_driven_microwave.webm

More than happy to answer questions.

Edit: Preview didn't auto-embed the youtube link, changes presentation somewhat
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:45:30 pm by lod »

Offline station240

• Supporter
Re: Microwave prototype presentation
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 02:21:47 am »
Interesting ideas in this project, I have a similar dislike of my electric oven.
Are you using an inverter microwave or the original type with the heavy iron transformer.

The thermal imaging camera is an interesting idea, got any more details on what sensor it is, and how it's connected ?
Could be an interesting idea to use a cheap  thermal camera to monitor for hotspots that indicate failing/overheating devices.

Offline lodTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 03:25:19 am »
Hi station240,

I'm experimenting with both the inverter and standard type of microwave. I prefer the inverter but the demo was done with a standard type as my inverter was causing me issues. The final decision will be informed by cost as going with the inverter locks you to the Panasonic supply chain.

The thermal camera is a Panasonic Grideye http://industrial.panasonic.com/ww/products/sensors/built-in-sensors/grid-eye
It is a nice 64 pixel sensor that you talk to over I2C. It is available through Digikey in the US, http://www.elecomes.com/ in Australia (not on their website, send them an email). It is a controlled device so Panasonic will want to know what you want one for, I just had to send an email with a one paragraph explanation.

Currently I am using it through a BusPirate which while easy has significant issues because of the way I2C and USB intersect.
Digikey sells a breakout board (US only) which has schematics and source code available (no clear licence), I may use it or run up something something very similar myself.
https://eewiki.net/display/projects/Panasonic+GridEYE+Breakout+Board+and+GUI

Offline Molenaar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 12:42:56 am »
Imho, thermal analysis would only be interesting if you would provide means to (automatically) optimize the heating pattern, e.g. through EM simulation of the food and the microwave oven.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 12:51:18 am »
Imho, thermal analysis would only be interesting if you would provide means to (automatically) optimize the heating pattern, e.g. through EM simulation of the food and the microwave oven.

Hi

I actually saw a demo of a solid state driven (no magnetron) microwave at a show about a year ago. They do both the thermal scanning and (I believe)  the beam forming to optimize the cooking.

Bob

Offline HAL-42b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 12:55:56 am »
Saw the thread the other day but didn't have time to watch the video. I'm watching it now and having lots of fun!

As a Linux user i think the complications you added to the system reflect Linux very well  :-DD Let's see how deep it really goes.

Offline lodTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 03:54:20 pm »
I actually saw a demo of a solid state driven (no magnetron) microwave at a show about a year ago.

Interesting Bob, I understood that the beam forming microwaves were in the uncertain future (10 years or so).

Do you recall who was doing the demo?

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:55:18 pm »
I actually saw a demo of a solid state driven (no magnetron) microwave at a show about a year ago.

Interesting Bob, I understood that the beam forming microwaves were in the uncertain future (10 years or so).

Do you recall who was doing the demo?

Hi

Most of the semiconductors (solid state PA etc) were from Freescale. I have no idea who made the over or did the fancy software. Cooked up some tasty snacks.

Bob

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf