Author Topic: Miscroscope view of a transistor  (Read 2828 times)

Offline pduTopic starter

Miscroscope view of a transistor
« on: April 24, 2018, 09:42:21 am »
Hello everyone,

I was recently able to use my university's microscope to observe some ICs (it is a microscope used for materials ananlysis. I am not studying materials or electronics by the way). One of the component was a BS108 MOSFET in a metal can. I am currently trying to analyse its structure but I am having some difficulties and I hope you can help me   :)

First, here is a shot of the transistor:

I was able, using a mutimeter and the datasheet, to identify some of the pins/wires.

Here is a drawing I made to make things clearer:

Finally, some datasheet (for example this one, pdf: https://www.bucek.name/pdf/bs108.pdf) describes it as a vertical n-channel enhancement mode DMOS. One of my resource gives a structure for this type of transistor: http://www.circuitstoday.com/double-diffused-mos-dmos

So, I made this cross section view of the transistor but I am not sure that I have the correct structure:

I am sure about the position of the gate, the source and the case (datasheet + multimeter). But I am not the sure of the shape of the cross section, the structure (letters) and the type of material / regions (numbers). Are my guesses corrects ? Do you have any idea ?

Thank you  :)

PDU

PS: It's my first time posting here, so I am not sure this is the right place. Tell me if anything is wrong (image size, image host, forum,...)  :)

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
Re: Miscroscope view of a transistor
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:59:45 pm »
Layers should be more or less same high , otherwise coating will get uneven thickness

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:48:46 pm »
Just a swag, but my guess is C is the gate, unsure of others... The bonding wire, since it has a ball, is definitely gold.
PEACE===>T

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:51:43 pm »
The drain (n+) is in the center.  The source (n+) is the outer region.  The substrate is p-.  The gate is on top.  I do not show the oxide in this simple sketch.

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 12:32:11 am »
The drain (n+) is in the center.  The source (n+) is the outer region.  The substrate is p-.  The gate is on top.  I do not show the oxide in this simple sketch.
It is possible that I have the drain and source flipped.

Offline pduTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 03:59:43 pm »
Hi,

Thank you everybody for your answers  :)

Layers should be more or less same high , otherwise coating will get uneven thickness
Do you mean semiconductor layers or all of them (including gate oxyde and gate). ?

Just a swag, but my guess is C is the gate, unsure of others... The bonding wire, since it has a ball, is definitely gold.
I don't think that C is the gate as I was actually able to identify it as the source with a multimeter in continuity testing mode. Well, more specifically, since you can see with the naked eye which wire is broken I was able to determine that the pin with no wire was the source pin.
You're right, it's probably gold. This would match the goldish color of the wire. Only gold wires have a ball ? Good to know ! :)

It is possible that I have the drain and source flipped.
Yeah, the source is definitely in the middle. Thanks for the position of the (p-) material. Would the following cross-section be more correct according to you ?

In this case, I don't really understand how the case can be connected to the drain (there is a connection between the external drain pin and the case). Also, it would correspond to the double-diffused MOS structure but not to the vertical double-diffused MOS structured advertised in one of the datasheet (if I'm not mistaken). Or maybe different manufacturer makes the same component with different structures.

Sorry if I appear to be a bit stubborn,  I am really trying to understand things :)

PDU

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 08:57:01 pm »
After further study, I change my view on the structure of this device.  In an old Philips datasheet, it is described as DMOS.  The drain is the back side eutectic bonded to the leadframe.  I suspect it looks like this

Offline rfeecs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 09:35:38 pm »
You can only guess by looking at the microscope picture.  All you can see is the metal and dielectric pattern on the top of the die.  Different thickness dielectric makes different colors.

Based on the above picture of the vertical DMOS structure and the electrode pattern you determined of source in the middle, a guess might look something like this:

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 01:20:11 am »
Hi,

Thank you everybody for your answers  :)

I don't think that C is the gate as I was actually able to identify it as the source with a multimeter in continuity testing mode. Well, more specifically, since you can see with the naked eye which wire is broken I was able to determine that the pin with no wire was the source pin.
You're right, it's probably gold. This would match the goldish color of the wire. Only gold wires have a ball ? Good to know ! :)

Yes, I spent many years working with wire bonding machines and the ball is created by a high voltage spark on the end of the gold wire that creates the ball by voltage and timing control circuitry. Aluminum wire is wedge bonding, meaning no ball.
PEACE===>T

Offline pduTopic starter

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 01:25:17 pm »
Hi,
Sorry for the long time without any post.

@tpowell1830: I have also read that copper can be used for wirebonding. Do you know if this also results in a wedge as for aluminium ?

@rfeecs & Wimberleytech: In both of your drawings, the hatched regions correspond to the metal conducting layer ?

@rfeecs: I know that I can only guess so much by looking at a picture, unfortunatelly. What would make you think that the n+ regions is split in two ? (And what would be the purpose?) I've seen some pictures with only one n+ region. For example this one (from circuitstoday.com, used for my first schema):

Unfortunatelly I can't get too much information out of the colour as the white balance was a little bit off when I took the pictures.

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 01:39:27 pm »

@rfeecs & Wimberleytech: In both of your drawings, the hatched regions correspond to the metal conducting layer ?

Yes

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 03:59:40 pm »
Hi,
Sorry for the long time without any post.

@tpowell1830: I have also read that copper can be used for wirebonding. Do you know if this also results in a wedge as for aluminium ?

@rfeecs: I know that I can only guess so much by looking at a picture, unfortunatelly. What would make you think that the n+ regions is split in two ? (And what would be the purpose?) I've seen some pictures with only one n+ region. For example this one (from circuitstoday.com, used for my first schema):

Unfortunatelly I can't get too much information out of the colour as the white balance was a little bit off when I took the pictures.

I have no experience with copper in wirebonding, sorry. We only used gold and aluminum. One of the problems is the hardness of materials on top of the silicon, it will crack, like glass. So we exclusively used gold on top of the ASICs, and aluminum to make connections between the substrate pads.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:03:47 pm by tpowell1830 »
PEACE===>T

Offline rfeecs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 10:36:46 pm »

The n+ appears split because the source contact connects to both the n+ and the p region.  This shorts the parasitic npn transistor and forms the body diode.

Actually I was trying to fit the layout to your picture.  The n+ would form a ring under the source pad.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf