Author Topic: Most quiet low ripple power supply architecture?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Most quiet low ripple power supply architecture?
« on: October 24, 2017, 04:03:02 am »
I`m looking most quiet / low ripple switching power supply architecture to power up my lab: signal generator, bench multimeters and other projects.
Can anybody help me with proper guidelines and/or design manuals?

Thanx!

Offline frog

• Contributor
Re: Most quiet low ripple power supply architecture?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 04:24:42 am »
A DC supply?  I think that the devices themselves would introduce noise onto the supply so you might consider providing an individual supply per device.  But I'd guess most of these devices are AC powered, so perhaps I've misunderstood the question.

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 04:40:37 am »
What type of switching supply have lowest ripple and hum? I mean flyback/halfbridge/fullbridge etc

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 04:43:31 am »
Do you mean for offline AC to DC conversion or for low voltage DC to DC conversion?

Soft switching power supplies like resonate switching power supplies and sine or saturable inverters (1) are inherently lower noise.  Linear Technology makes some switching regulators controllers which include adjustable voltage and current slew rates for lower noise.  Check out Linear Technology application note 70 for a discussion of this; it also discusses the half-bridge resonate switching power supplies Tektronix used and their advantages.

(1) Saturable inverters are low noise when a separate smaller saturating transformer is used to drive the inverter transistors.  Tektronix made great use of this in their early 22xx series oscilloscopes.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 05:34:45 am »
I`m looking most quiet / low ripple switching power supply architecture to power up my lab: signal generator, bench multimeters and other projects.
Can anybody help me with proper guidelines and/or design manuals?

Thanx!

This thread is not going anywhere before you define your requirement 1st in numbers.

How quite is quite according to you ? Put out a number, not just it "feels" quite.

How much "low" ripple do you need ? Whats the ripple number you're expecting at what kind of load ?

Answer these, hopefully you will get the aid you need.

Other wise people will jump in here with different ideas according to themself on what YOU NEED.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf