Author Topic: Motorola 68HC11FL0 - anyone got a datasheet or memory map?  (Read 3601 times)

Offline philpemTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • That Sneaky British Bloke
Motorola 68HC11FL0 - anyone got a datasheet or memory map?
« on: November 06, 2016, 02:20:42 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a datasheet, memory map or similar for a Motorola 68HC11 variant which isn't in the standard manuals (ho hum):  the 68HC11FL0.

It appears to be a ROMless 68HC11 with about 3K of RAM, the onboard bootloader loads at 0x0080, but the FSR registers don't seem to line up with any other HC11. I've found evidence that ICE pods existed and some compilers had support, but that's about it.

A header file from a compiler or dev kit listing the FSR addresses and their bits would be really helpful -- a datasheet would be fantastic, but I'm not sure if one exists.

I'm trying to figure out what some old code which was written for one of these beasties does (naturally there's no documentation)... FSR documentation would be really helpful.

Cheers,
Phil.
Phil / M0OFX -- Electronics/Software Engineer
"Why do I have a room full of test gear? Why, it saves on the heating bill!"

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Motorola 68HC11FL0 - anyone got a datasheet or memory map?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:25:12 pm »
Last time I looked a lot of the datasheets were still available from freescale.  They were buried deep in their site but google could find them.

I still have a couple old 68hc11's laying around somewhere.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 02:57:55 pm »
Last time I looked a lot of the datasheets were still available from freescale.  They were buried deep in their site but google could find them.

I still have a couple old 68hc11's laying around somewhere.

Not for this one, sadly. It's not on the website, and the only proof Google has of it existing are some mentions that it was also used in Motorola CDM radios.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 03:13:58 pm »
Looking in the  M68HC11 reference manual (rev 3 1991), they do not list it.  I would guess it would be the same as the F1M.  Google searched for the F series,

http://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp?Searchword=MC68HC11F&sField=2

Fair amount of data there.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 06:40:40 pm »
Looking in the  M68HC11 reference manual (rev 3 1991), they do not list it.  I would guess it would be the same as the F1M.  Google searched for the F series,

http://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp?Searchword=MC68HC11F&sField=2

Fair amount of data there.

Sadly it doesn't quite match up with any of the parts in the F1 datasheet:

* 100 pin package
  * Has ports A through J, all seem to be 8-bit but some are used for "expanded mode" (external address and data bus)
  * ROMless. No internal ROM except the bootstrap
  * Internal bootstrap loads to 0x0080, executes from 0x0080. SFRs seem to be from 0x0000 to 0x007F.
  * 3K of internal RAM (or so I've been told). Seems to be mapped to address 0x0000 (but the SFRs take priority) when the bootstrap is used,

It's looks in some ways standard, and in other ways very different. There's nothing quite like it in the product line up.

It's supported by the Nohau (Ice Technology) EMU68-PC, so I suspect I could pull the register map from the software for that -- the only catch is, the software isn't freely downloadable ($300 for an "update CD"). Does anyone have access to one of these, or a copy of the software?

Cheers,
Phil.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 07:54:05 pm »
I checked my Introl C compiler manual to see if there was any mention.   I also still have a Pentica ICE that I checked the manuals as well.  Nothing. 

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 08:53:25 pm »
I see the reference to the 3K in the CDM documentation, however IDA thinks that the FC1 which seems the same part without the ADC has only 1K of memory, and so does the F1. Also, 3K seems an odd value.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 09:19:11 pm »
I checked my Introl C compiler manual to see if there was any mention.   I also still have a Pentica ICE that I checked the manuals as well.  Nothing.

Thanks for that.

I've checked the Cosmic compiler (or rather the downloadable demo), and it doesn't have a header either. I'm curious whether anyone else did a compiler which might have supported it, but right now the Nohau ICE is the only firm lead I have.

I see the reference to the 3K in the CDM documentation, however IDA thinks that the FC1 which seems the same part without the ADC has only 1K of memory, and so does the F1. Also, 3K seems an odd value.

Do you mean the FC0? I don't have the FC1 in my 6811.cfg.
I'm using IDA here (to disassemble the code...). I don't think the FC0 is a match for capabilities; it

The nearest match I've found in terms of standard parts is the KW1, which is 100 pins, and has the memory expansion feature (XA13..18) which the Motorola radios use to expand the code space.
I'm a little suspicious that maybe the FSRs are most similar to that, but they extend to 0xA0 in the KW1 -- which would be impossible in the FL0, because of the bootstrap start address.

It is a closer match for the startup code, though...

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 09:45:04 pm »
Do you mean the FC0? I don't have the FC1 in my 6811.cfg.

Yes sorry, FC0.

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 12:58:04 am »
From https://community.nxp.com/thread/64670 :
The 68HC11FL0 was a cost-reduced version of the 68HC11F1 that has some noise reduction features but no EEPROM.

Your best bet for a pin out is to use the data sheet for the 68HC11F1.  It also includes a pin out for the 68HC11FC0 which is similar to the FL0 but lacks the former's ADC.  I doubt you'll find a data sheet for the FL0 because it never appeared in any 68HC11 selector guides back in the chip's salad days.

Does the IC have a mask code (usually letter-number-number-letter format)?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 01:34:36 am »
From https://community.nxp.com/thread/64670 :
The 68HC11FL0 was a cost-reduced version of the 68HC11F1 that has some noise reduction features but no EEPROM.

Your best bet for a pin out is to use the data sheet for the 68HC11F1.  It also includes a pin out for the 68HC11FC0 which is similar to the FL0 but lacks the former's ADC.  I doubt you'll find a data sheet for the FL0 because it never appeared in any 68HC11 selector guides back in the chip's salad days.

Does the IC have a mask code (usually letter-number-number-letter format)?

Unfortunately it's under a metal shield which is a dog to remove, so I can't say.

I could probably try and bash together a program to read out the bootstrap which -- if it's in the right place in the map -- should give me the mask code programmed into the loader. Big question mark there, though, and that assumes I get enough register assumptions right for it to work.

Offline Gegnowga

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:54:41 am »
I received one of those Motorola Professional Radios which are controlled by named processor. This radio is suitable for amateur radio bands, but operating that radio by hams turns into a nightmare. So I would like to start a project to write new firmware. Circuit diagrams and detailed descriptions are available. It doesn't seem too difficult as uP had been integrated to radio circuit similar to a demo board. Bootstrap and debugging features are available. But datasheet of uP itself seems to be a secret.

My question is if anyone had been able to find more details on M68HC11FL0 beyond the results found on this thread.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf