Author Topic: mounting a wristband to an aluminium plate for a electronics project  (Read 1821 times)

Offline m.m.mTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • EE MSc Student and Hobbyist
hello, first of all I'm sorry it's not related to electronics, I just want your experiences.
I wanted to make some cooling system which mounts on my hand like a wristwatch, and I also have a metal (it'd better to be metal for better heat conductivity) wrist band which I took off a watch, now how can I mount the band on a 1.5mm thick aluminium plate?
25 y/o Electronics Lover

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: mounting a wristband to an aluminium plate for a electronics project
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:32:51 am »
Silver solder or thermally conductive epoxy are the 2 I can think of that are cheap and possible to DIY. Otherwise you need to have a small TIG welder to weld the small band wires to the metal plate. The problem with welding or brazing is that you have stainless steel watch band ad aluminium plate, which are not easy to braze or weld together without an intermediate metal or a very high silver content solder or braze metal.You do get a stainless steel solder paste which has 90% silver and 8% tin with 2% copper in a very aggressive flux ( I have some and it works well for fine wire, but needs a thorough cleaning afterwards with acetone and scrubbing then a wash in vinegar to reform the oxide layer on the nickel) that will bond to almost anything other than aluminium, which needs a soft solder with a different flux to wet it.

Offline m.m.mTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • EE MSc Student and Hobbyist
Re: mounting a wristband to an aluminium plate for a electronics project
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:49:06 am »
Silver solder or thermally conductive epoxy are the 2 I can think of that are cheap and possible to DIY. Otherwise you need to have a small TIG welder to weld the small band wires to the metal plate. The problem with welding or brazing is that you have stainless steel watch band ad aluminium plate, which are not easy to braze or weld together without an intermediate metal or a very high silver content solder or braze metal.You do get a stainless steel solder paste which has 90% silver and 8% tin with 2% copper in a very aggressive flux ( I have some and it works well for fine wire, but needs a thorough cleaning afterwards with acetone and scrubbing then a wash in vinegar to reform the oxide layer on the nickel) that will bond to almost anything other than aluminium, which needs a soft solder with a different flux to wet it.
Thanks a lot, great idea but I need it to be flexible and able to rotate like it's mounted on a watch
I first realized that I can drill two holes near where the band is going to mount, and then cross a thick wire through the hole on the watch and the two holes on the plate but I wont like it.
25 y/o Electronics Lover

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf