Author Topic: Mounting PTH Capacitor to SMT pads  (Read 1005 times)

Offline dcambronTopic starter

Mounting PTH Capacitor to SMT pads
« on: February 23, 2018, 05:41:21 pm »
I'm looking for a place to stick a super-capacitor on an extremely space-constrained design. There is no vertical space to put your standard radial can form factor on the PCB... however I might be able to take a radial can through-hole capacitor with leads, turn it on its side, and manually solder it to some beefy SMT pads. It would be hanging off of the side of the PCB. Perhaps I'll make a notch in the PCB and essentially 'inset' the whole capacitor in the PCB.

My question is: Has anyone ever had success doing something like this in a consumer product, or is it too sketchy to even attempt?

I want to consider this because:
1) Ultra-flat 'pouch' capacitors are very expensive, and I still would have the same problem finding room to fit those. (Over $1)
2) I think I can mitigate vibrations by gluing the capacitor to the PCB.
3) This option still is probably the cheapest (50 cents for the cap, 20 cents for the manual solder, 5 cents for the glue operation)

Regards
DC

Offline elecman14

• Supporter
Re: Mounting PTH Capacitor to SMT pads
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:34:12 pm »
3) This option still is probably the cheapest (50 cents for the cap, 20 cents for the manual solder, 5 cents for the glue operation)

Have you quoted that with your manufacturer? It seems cheap if you can find someone to do it at those prices. You might have to get some sort of lead forming operation as well. Also manual solder operations might be more risky than machine placement (no spi/aoi). You also have the variability of human operators that might apply different solder volumes. If someone has an off day it can lead to problems even if you test due to intermittent connections. Selective solder machines might be able to help prevent this depending on your design and/or volume. Building and loading tooling for that would be a pain based on my next point:

It would be hanging off of the side of the PCB.

The operation would have to be done after the part is de-panelized. You should clearly communicate this with your manufacturer when quoting this design with them. This could be a big pain depending on how the separated pcbas are stored.

The following users thanked this post: dcambron

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf