Author Topic: Need Help Finding Weller DS1000 and WD2000 Desoldering station info  (Read 2833 times)

Offline SouthernerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
About 5 years ago I won a couple auctions.  One for a Weller WD2000 and one for a DS1000.  They are part of a desoldering station but I can't find anything about them on the Weller manual archive page and Weller has not responded to requests for info.  Does anyone have any info on these stations?  I have the blue box but not the solder/desolder guns or heads and no hoses.  What desoldering gun do they require to be used with them?  What soldering pencil do they need?

Thank you for your help.

Offline dan1

Re: Need Help Finding Weller DS1000 and WD2000 Desoldering station info
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 03:15:08 am »
I have a ds1000. Got it in the mid to late 90s. The label on the soldering has worn out so i cant get the model. The desoldering iron that came with mine is weller DS1203A.

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 05:39:11 am »
I have a ds1000. Got it in the mid to late 90s. The label on the soldering has worn out so i cant get the model. The desoldering iron that came with mine is weller DS1203A.
The DS1201ESD is also specified for this model. The DS1203A is notated "high mass desoldering tool".

• Regular Contributor
I got a reply from Weller tech support and link to the manual and thought it said it took a EC1202 iron.  That made no sense to me as that is a stand alone iron and power pack if I remember right.

Thank you.

• Regular Contributor
The DS1201ESD is also specified for this model. The DS1203A is notated "high mass desoldering tool".
Hello Helius.

I will look for the DS1201 or DS1203A iron.  I thought the manual said it took a EC1202 iron which made no sense to me as that was a stand alone iron with power pack.

What is used for the desoldering head in your DS1000?

I just tried to purchase a Star Tec 90101 desoldering station but after 2 months of corresponding with someone at Star Tec I placed an order last night and promptly got a refund and cancelled order because they do not produce a USA (UL approved I guess) model so I have to keep looking for a desoldering station in that price range.  I had thought about getting the Hakko FR300/301 or the Chinese clone but the Hakko is out of my budget and I do not trust the Chinese clones of that model.

What would you recommend for an affordable hobbyist desoldering station?

Thank you.

• Regular Contributor

What is needed for a vacuum source for the DS1000?  Also,  will a DS227 top work with the DS1000?  What size orifice would you suggest for the DS227 for most through hole and some smt work?

Thank you.

• Regular Contributor

My DS1000 user manual is saying I need a DS2001 (pistol)  or DS1201ESD (iron).  I have not seen either for sale used or new.  I have not been able to located a manual for my WD2000.  Weller tech support sent me the manual for the WD2M which is not even close to my WD2000.

Thank you.

Offline w9gb

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 12:50:20 am »
The WD2000 rework station you are referring to was made in 1980s, as I remember.
It was not in production during 1990s (not in 1999 catalog).
Weller acquired Ungar in 1996 and by 2003, many of those models were discontinued.

The DS101 irons appear (Magnistat/TCP heritage) on eBay.
Regarding the EC-1201(A) / ESD irons ...
I actually build these, from scratch, as needed — finding NOS parts from various sources.

==
My WELLER Manual Collection (20th Century) ..... I have scanned most.
I did not use or repair their de-soldering products.  Consult 1999 Catalog.
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/weller/

Weller / Ungar Product & Parts Catalog, circa 1999
MANY models were discontinued in 2003 — not converted to RoHS (no lead) 21st century.
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/weller/parts/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:57:53 am by w9gb »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 04:41:05 am »
Hello Greg.

I got the DS1000 and the WM2000 packs at a surplus sale so they very easily could have been made in the 80's or earlier. Attempts to get the manual (and parts breakdown) from Weller only got me manuals of new and recent models but not either of these 2 models.

I was hoping I could use one or the other but have to come up with an iron for each and the foot switch.  Was there anything special about the foot switch?

I had looked at the WTCPK but did not find one very cheap.  The bulb was what I particularly wanted since I have several WTCP stations and love them.  I finally bought a Aoyou 701A rework station since I could not afford a real Hakko.  It works but not great.

Thank you.

The WD2000 rework station you are referring to was made in 1980s, as I remember.
It was not in production during 1990s (not in 1999 catalog).
Weller acquired Ungar in 1996 and by 2003, many of those models were discontinued.

The DS101 irons appear (Magnistat/TCP heritage) on eBay.
Regarding the EC-1201(A) / ESD irons ...
I actually build these, from scratch, as needed — finding NOS parts from various sources.

==
My WELLER Manual Collection (20th Century) ..... I have scanned most.
I did not use or repair their de-soldering products.  Consult 1999 Catalog.
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/weller/

Weller / Ungar Product & Parts Catalog, circa 1999
MANY models were discontinued in 2003 — not converted to RoHS (no lead) 21st century.
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/weller/parts/

Offline w9gb

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 01:35:09 pm »
The Weller DS100 and DS500 were Weller’s first De-soldering units, as shown in the June 1981 Product Catalog.
http://bama.edebris.com/download/weller/catalogs/weller-catalog-603.pdf

A distributor, on eBay, had TEN (10) Weller DS-101 soldering irons (TC-201 iron using a Cinch-Jones 3-pin rectangular plug) ... those were listed for MONTHS.  I don’t think he sold any of them (outside of two to me, 2 years earlier).

IF you are going to “harvest from surplus” you better be a Good Scrounger or DIY Maker.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:40:40 pm by w9gb »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf