Author Topic: Offline SMPS PSU Explained...  (Read 980 times)

Offline MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Offline SMPS PSU Explained...
« on: March 22, 2018, 11:01:03 pm »
this guy nicked named DiodeGoneWild... now this can make my life much easier...

Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Re: Offline SMPS PSU Explained...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 12:37:51 am »
Yes, he is kind of famous in EU as well (his site www.danyk.cz pre-dates many others). We listed him on the Big youtubers list.

I liked his 3-part series on SMPS that was posted in the Primers section:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/electronics-primers-course-material-and-books/msg1414958/#msg1414958

He has my all time favorite electronic scare video"
https://youtu.be/vfixjqWcOwg

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 02:03:49 am »
Hehehe, notice the perfect fifth* in the hum: it's a three phase arc, so the fundamentals and second harmonics cancel out (give or take imbalance between arcs), while the 3rd harmonics add perfectly in phase (because 120 or 240 degrees, times three, is a multiple of a full circle).  When one pair of arcs breaks, it reverts to single phase, giving the second harmonic.  (The fundamental cancels out anyway, because the arc is approximately square law.)

*An equal-tempered fifth is technically 2^(5/12), i.e., 5 steps on the diatonic scale (an octave divided into 12 pieces by equal ratios).  This happens to be very close to 3/2 (i.e., the ratio between 2nd and 3rd harmonics), but not quite equal.  Following multiples of 3/2 (up a fifth) and 1/2 (down an octave), you generate the "circle of fifths", which works out evenly on the scale, but ends up a bit out of tune (I think about a half step in total??), because fundamentally, the 12th root of 2 is an irrational number, and cannot ever be represented by a ration number (in this case, a finite product of 3/2 and 1/2 factors).  This has been your musical fact for the day. :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 04:45:47 am »
(his site www.danyk.cz pre-dates many others).
address locked (for my reference later) thanks :P
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf