Author Topic: old server PSU pinout? ( ASTEC AA21060 ) or how to turn it on?  (Read 7524 times)

Offline newmasterTopic starter

• Contributor
I purchased a server PSU to get high power 5v and 12v on my bench. unfortunately I did not think about how to switch it on.  most likely I have to short some pins, or ad a resistor, but I canĀ“t find any information on this unit.
it was used on Fujitsu Primergy H400 server but that is all I have been able to find out.

Does anybody know how to turn this PSU on, or is it possible to find it out with a multimeter somehow?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:37:40 pm by newmaster »

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: old server PSU pinout? ( ASTEC AA21060 ) or how to turn it on?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:19:08 pm »
If it uses the standard 24 pin connector then all you have to do is short pins 15 (ground) and 14 CPU_ON*

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/blog/convert-atx-psu-to-bench-supply.html

If it uses a different connector, maybe it still uses the same color code.  CPU_ON* is the only green wire.  The ground wires are black.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 02:26:00 pm »
unfortunately it has no wires and only this special connector:

https://cache.osta.ee/iv2/auctions/1_9_40426503.jpg

Offline omulki

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 02:40:10 pm »
I had a whole bunch of those from my latest datacenter upgrade and gave them away to a model helicopter club. They told me it was common knowledge in these clubs. I have no idea how to get in touch with them, but I believe it's a good hint for you.

As soon as you open it, you should find print mask'd labels and will easily be able to detect the two signals, that you must ground. As shown here...

Not exactly yours, but a good start: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1695602-PS-3601-1F-Fujitsu-Siemens
Here's a German thread that explains it for several models: https://www.rc-heli.de/board/showthread.php?t=217013
Also in German, a better explanation, probably exactly your model: http://michael-linke.macbay.de/forum-htb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=676

Well, it's a German PSU out of a German server - by coincidence most hacks are from German pilots. When searching the web, it might help you know that the much more common Primergy RX-300 (S2...S6) had the same PSUs.

Btw. you will find your workshop to become considerably louder  ;D

OM.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 03:03:17 pm by omulki »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 04:27:57 pm »
I will investigate those german sites. thank You!

meanwhile I opened the PSU and there is only CN102 designation on the board. this represents the whole 4x6 pin plug.  I will try to trace out where the pins are connected. maybe I can at least rule out some combinations this way.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:11:33 pm »
Have you tried to find a tech manual on that server?  If you're lucky, it might have a wiring diagram with the info you need.  Figuring out an unknown power supply can be time-consuming.  You could try the following:

1.  Figure out which pins are ground.  They might be tied to the case or the mains ground wire.

2.  Plug in the power supply

3.  Check the small pins for one that's at 5V.

4.  Make sure it's not a power pin by grounding it through a 10K resistor.  If the voltage doesn't drop at all, it could be a power pin.  Try 1K.  If the voltage still doesn't drop, assume it's a power pin and move on.

5.  During the above test, monitor one of the output voltages to see if the unit turns on.  If the power supply has a built-in fan, you don't have to do this.  The fan will start up when you turn the unit on.  If it doesn't have a fan, you'll have to provide an external one!

6.  If you find one or more pins that isn't a power pin but sits at 5V when unloaded, and the supply still hasn't turned on, cross your fingers and try grounding the pin through a 100 ohm resistor.

7.  If none of the leads have 5V (or 12V) and you're sure you've got your ground connection right, you might have a dead power supply.  That's a whole different problem!

The idea of the above tests is to hope that this power supply uses the same type of startup circuit as a standard power supply.  That might not be true.  Other than this, you'll have to trace everything out.

I don't think this test will damage anything, but no guarantees!  You could end up with a big paperweight.

Ed

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 06:06:05 pm »
I think I got it. Thanks.

tried to ground those 5V pins through a resistor (there was 7 of them total)

the PSU had a fan running right after I connected mains input. at first I thought it was max speed but I was soon surprised :D also a Yellow led on the back side was lit.

shorting the first 5v pin to GND through 100 OHM resulted the Yellow led to turn off, the second one I tried switched on a green LED along with a Yellow one, and the fan went to full speed (like a jet taking off)

it seems like the outputs are all switched on. I will take a picture of the plug and annotate the right pins to short as soon as I can test if the outputs can deliver some amps too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf