Author Topic: OneTeslaTS Tesla Coil Kit  (Read 5154 times)

Offline KG7AMVTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rhine_Labs
    • My Personal Blog
OneTeslaTS Tesla Coil Kit
« on: April 12, 2015, 06:36:08 pm »
Customer dropped off a OneTeslaTS for me to assemble. PCB seems to be good quality some of component's from the kit well could be better for what they charge!

Some of the solder pads are so small hard to tell if getting a good flow some holes for the component leads could be larger some are tight fit! But it is a $400.00 kickstarter project.

Offline paulie

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: OneTeslaTS Tesla Coil Kit
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 07:17:23 pm »
I'd be very interested how to get
sparks two feet long
with a 6.5" coil.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rhine_Labs
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 07:31:10 pm »
No Idea how to get... you may want to contact OneTesla.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 08:20:54 pm »
I'd be very interested how to get
sparks two feet long
with a 6.5" coil.
Why not? Or do you think that the arc should take shortest distance between the top and ground?

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rhine_Labs
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 09:08:50 pm »
Only thing i have a recommendation for them to fix for a DIY kit is the quality of parts, larger solder pads on some parts, and larger hole diameter's for the diameter of leads some are very tight! SMT on 2 resistors for sure! Or space it out for standard thru hole Mounting!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:16:34 am by KG7AMV »

Offline paulie

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 10:59:14 am »
Why not? Or do you think that the arc should take shortest distance between the top and ground?

Yes. Although I suppose it might be possible to insulate the entire unit including power cord but that does not seem to be the case.

Offline Arjan Emm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 03:33:44 pm »
Hello, The rather large topload (donut) guides the arcs away from the coil it self. They typically strike the ground a fair bit away from the coil. If you would plot the field strength using femm or something like that you'll see sparks will always start at the side of the donut, not top or bottom. You also notice that the spark is not likely to go to the bottom of the winding.
I build several tesla's but i never got further than 2.8 times the coil winding length. But 3 is doable as far as i know.
Longest arc i made  sofar is 8 meters :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:14:10 pm by Arjan Emm »

Offline paulie

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 04:03:51 pm »
I build several tesla's but i never got further than 2.8 times the coil winding length. But 3 is doable as far as i know.

So we agree as I originally commented that 2' arc with a 6" coil is impossible. In fact even 18" unlikely.

Offline Arjan Emm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 05:35:14 pm »

Yes. Although I suppose it might be possible to insulate the entire unit including power cord but that does not seem to be the case.

Yes we agree sort off. The shortest distance across the coil is definitely not the maximum spark length and that's what you seem to imply. No need for insulating the case or cables. electrostatics do the job for you.
This is a dual resonant solidstate tesla coil , drsstc, they usually perform better then the sparkgapcoils i build. so 18 inches sounds good but 2 feet nah.
In the video it only shows roughly 12 inches though.
A reasonably new disign actually does much better as 1:3. The qcw coil 1:5 or so. But they look alot different and they can't do midi music and so on. just very short bursts. Definitely not this coil.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:37:32 pm by Arjan Emm »

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rhine_Labs
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 12:14:06 am »
Varnish the coil!! Not a fun task if I were to do it again I would use a sponge brush but never varnished such a large coil.

My Lathe is not set up with a VFD and 70 RPM is the lowest it goes that was a bit to fast and did not want the urethane all over my lathe so I use the BBQ rotisserie and as fine of brush as I could find local HW Store. Now have a headache from the fumes even did it outside.

Interrupter Done and Powerd Up! Case they Provided did not fit.

But the Lower Section is Coming along nicely finish the coil and fire it up.

So far to many hours in this gadget! I guess he has another one also?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:20:49 am by KG7AMV »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf