Author Topic: optical rotary encoder for position feedback  (Read 4445 times)

Offline JBealeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
optical rotary encoder for position feedback
« on: November 23, 2014, 05:10:55 pm »
After being annoyed by the noise from stepper motors, I've been looking into using DC motors with encoders for position feedback in my robot project.  (For any useful torque, usually you need a geartrain which is also noisy, but I'm ignoring that for now.)

In case of interest: Ebay has "photoelectric rotary encoder" starting around $15. These have two outputs in quadrature so you can tell the direction of rotation as well as the angle. I got a 600 pulse/rev and a 360 P/R model, the latter is in the photos below. Inside is a metal wheel with many thin slots. I wasted some time because I don't read Chinese and relied on the (wrong) pinout listed on the Ebay page. I had to take it apart to find +Vcc (5V) was the white wire, not red. Then tried translating "white" into Chinese with Google Translate.  With correct hookup it works. The spec says 5V but it works down to Vcc = 2.6 V. The label says VCC: ? (white) GND: ? (black) Channel A: ? (red) Channel B:  ? (green)

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
Re: optical rotary encoder for position feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 05:57:01 pm »
That soldering looks like its been done by a 12 year old (to be honest my 11 year old sister solders better then that)

Offline KG7AMV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rhine_Labs
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:21:59 pm »
Look at this encoder... EPC 15S-19M4-2000N5ROC-F00 http://www.encoder.com/literature/datasheet-15s.pdf the china optical encoders are very poor quality and it looks to be missing the 2nd sensor?

Online SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 07:32:47 pm »
That soldering looks like its been done by a 12 year old (to be honest my 11 year old sister solders better then that)

To be fair it probably was done by one, in a hurry, with another thousand to do before going off work to eat and sleep a little.

Offline JBealeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:57:56 pm »
Look at this encoder... EPC 15S-19M4-2000N5ROC-F00 http://www.encoder.com/literature/datasheet-15s.pdf the china optical encoders are very poor quality and it looks to be missing the 2nd sensor?
I am sure the Made-in-USA encoders are good quality, but they are typically 3x to 10x more expensive than the Chinese stuff on ebay. The two I have work exactly as specified (after I understood the pinout issue) and they're good enough to play with for my present hobby purposes. Yes, the soldering is poor. This one has one module containing a detector pair giving the quadrature output. I doubt it was intended to have two detector pairs, more likely they just laid out an alternate part footprint so they could stuff whichever item was cheaper that week.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:07:36 pm »
the china optical encoders are very poor quality

The same can be said about your Chevys, Fords, or Buicks, vs. BMWs or Benz, or Bentleys.

Are you willing to pay the BMW/Benz/Bentley prices for BMW/Benz/Bentley quality?
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:18:46 am »
After being annoyed by the noise from stepper motors, I've been looking into using DC motors with encoders for position feedback in my robot project.
After watching "automata" yesterday I think a robot making noise so not to be able to sneak up silently behind you is a good thing, a definite requirement  ;)

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 12:16:36 pm »
the china optical encoders are very poor quality

The same can be said about your Chevys, Fords, or Buicks, vs. BMWs or Benz, or Bentleys.

Are you willing to pay the BMW/Benz/Bentley prices for BMW/Benz/Bentley quality?
Not sure what youre on about with MB reliability ;)
http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/pressroom/2014/10/my-entry.html
In the US at least, only thing they are better than is most Chrysler group vehicles. BMW is only a bit better than average, so its just paying more to think youre getting better. (which is also a problem on ebay too ;D )

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 04:40:29 am »
Apart from the obvious comments about soldering and quality - I'd be sure to blow out the optical cavity before you re-assemble that unit.  The dust and swarf visible in the photo will guarantee at least some miscounting over the life of the device.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf