Author Topic: Overvoltage protection in PV system  (Read 2045 times)

Offline 22Topic starter

• Contributor
Overvoltage protection in PV system
« on: June 25, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »
Hi, can anyone tell me if this overvoltage protection : http://new.abb.com/products/2CTB804201R0100/ovr-t2-40-275 is suitable for use in photovoltaic system ? Thanks.

Offline 22Topic starter

• Contributor
Re: Overvoltage protection in PV system
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:52:05 pm »
Still need help

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 09:01:11 pm »
Still need help
And how is anyone supposed to help you without enough information about your problem?

The device you've linked to is AC for a start, yet solar cells are DC. It may help to protect the mains side a grid tie inverter but will be useless for the DC side.

Offline 22Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 09:24:08 pm »
yeah but it also has: Voltage Rating DC: 350 V. So i suppose it might also be suitable for DC . Or I need a specific part only for DC ?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 09:49:33 pm »
yeah but it also has: Voltage Rating DC: 350 V. So i suppose it might also be suitable for DC . Or I need a specific part only for DC ?
How the heck can anyone know, without knowing the nominal voltage of the solar array?

Offline 22Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 10:17:45 pm »
The open circuit voltage of one panel is 38V. 6 panels are connected in series. The 350V arrester should be ideal for my purpose so thats why Im looking for something different that 600V 1000V types that are available everywhere. I saw this one is typically for AC but it also have DC rating. So my question is the same: Is that rating means that this arrester is also suitable for DC side?

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 08:01:46 am »
The open circuit voltage of one panel is 38V. 6 panels are connected in series. The 350V arrester should be ideal for my purpose so thats why Im looking for something different that 600V 1000V types that are available everywhere. I saw this one is typically for AC but it also have DC rating. So my question is the same: Is that rating means that this arrester is also suitable for DC side?
What are you trying to arrest ? A PV panels output will never exceed VOC anyway! Any downstream devices such as inverters should have suitable input protection integrated anyway. If you are trying to protect against lightning strike that's a whole different ballgame as others have said you need to properly describe what you are trying to do and protect against before anybody can offer you any potential solutions.

Offline 22Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 10:49:46 am »
Im trying to protect input side of inverter from indirect lightning stroke. The maximum voltage of inverter is 380V. The DC side is going to be fully isolated from ground.

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 12:16:57 pm »
Im trying to protect input side of inverter from indirect lightning stroke. The maximum voltage of inverter is 380V. The DC side is going to be fully isolated from ground.

Look, I see you are from Slovakia and so won't expect your English to be very good, but why didn't you state that in the first post instead of waste a bunch of time - literally days - waiting for us to play 20 questions with you?

You don't use an overvoltage protection relay to protect against indirect lighting strike; that is what Metal Oxide Varistors (MOVs), Gas Discharge Tubes (GDTs) and Transient Voltage Suppressors (TVS diodes) are for.

Understand that you can only guess what kind of energy or peak power vs. time rating the transient protection will need and, of course, if the "indirect" strike is to the building next door there won't be much you can do about it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf