Author Topic: Panel mounted test points?  (Read 1535 times)

Offline AndyC_772Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Panel mounted test points?
« on: December 11, 2018, 02:15:57 pm »
Hi

I have a prototype PCB which I want to put inside a metal box for shielding and protection, but it has a few signals on it which I need to probe with a scope from time to time.

I'm looking for a panel mounted test point, which is insulated from the chassis, and to which I can clip a scope probe. (Basically, the same kind of thing that is used to provide the calibration signal on a scope's front panel).

Panel mounted sockets are easy to come by, but protruding pins or loops seem much less common - to the extent that the nearest I can come up with is to use a small socket and actually solder a PCB test point into it. That's ugly, though.

Can anyone please suggest a source for suitable test points? Thanks!

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: Panel mounted test points?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 03:25:07 pm »
search for something like an isolated turret connector.

Of interest also may be probe adapters (where you stick a multimeter prove into a isolated machine pin but obviously only for DCish).

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
Re: Panel mounted test points?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 05:33:04 am »
When I've had products with this need in the past they've universally used SMA/SMB/SMC (depending on density needs mainly) sockets on the panel (sometimes behind a cover). Especially by the time you're down to SMC the pitch is denser than usable with individual pins.

Two other options would be micro-coax array connectors (probably too expensive), and just using a standard 0.1" pin header set for IDC cables if the frequency is low enough.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf