Author Topic: PCB Layout question  (Read 5958 times)

sepanyapasaribu

PCB Layout question
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:53:02 am »
hi all...
I am trying to design a 2-layer PCB board for upconverter WIMAX 3,3Ghz.
I use MIC TRF-1222 but I'm still confuse to make the layout design, can you help me with this stuff??

Offline septer012

• Regular Contributor
    • http://www.danielbjohnson.net
Re: PCB Layout question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:23:21 am »
Youtube.com   search PCB tutorial  would be my first suggestion.
Daniel

GeekGirl

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:14:11 am »
Anything involving high speed digital or RF (which high speed digital basically is) is very tricky to design, esp if you are using tools like eagle etc. Even Altium Designer is not up to analysis of these circuits...

Things come into play at high frequency like the substrate (ie standard Double sided boards are Fibreglass FR4) thickness of substrate, plating thickness and type of plating, thickness of copper.....

I am taking it that you are using an RF module, if you keep the distances from the module to the RF IO connectors as short as possible this helps... Also remember that traces at these frequencies act like mini antennas etc. etc.

Just some things to think about oh also remember to go to the manufacturers website, they will have lots of appnotes that will show recomended PCB layouts, Substrate materials and thicknesses etc.

HTH

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:01:30 pm »
For PCB layout tips and trick check out http://www.compliance-club.com/. Look for articles by Keith Armstrong. He has done several articles (and published a book) on tips and tricks for for producing PCBs. The site is primarily for EMC compliance - but good board design is good board design and having good layouts result in good EMC and good signal integrity.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

sepanyapasaribu

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:06:25 pm »
Youtube.com   search PCB tutorial  would be my first suggestion.
thanks for your suggestion, but it's still hard to find good tutorial from youtube

sepanyapasaribu

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 06:15:23 pm »
Anything involving high speed digital or RF (which high speed digital basically is) is very tricky to design, esp if you are using tools like eagle etc. Even Altium Designer is not up to analysis of these circuits...

Things come into play at high frequency like the substrate (ie standard Double sided boards are Fibreglass FR4) thickness of substrate, plating thickness and type of plating, thickness of copper.....

I am taking it that you are using an RF module, if you keep the distances from the module to the RF IO connectors as short as possible this helps... Also remember that traces at these frequencies act like mini antennas etc. etc.

Just some things to think about oh also remember to go to the manufacturers website, they will have lots of appnotes that will show recomended PCB layouts, Substrate materials and thicknesses etc.

HTH

thanks for this advice, I'm work in 3.3 GHz frequency by use of MIC TRF1222 as a main component, but I'm still confuse to choose the best layout so I can minimize anything that reduce component specs and ability.
it's difficult for me to select the best decoupling capacitors for guarding against voltage drop.
if you have another advice, please inform me, thanks..

sepanyapasaribu

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 06:16:38 pm »
For PCB layout tips and trick check out http://www.compliance-club.com/. Look for articles by Keith Armstrong. He has done several articles (and published a book) on tips and tricks for for producing PCBs. The site is primarily for EMC compliance - but good board design is good board design and having good layouts result in good EMC and good signal integrity.

thanks for this information, I've checked it and maybe can help..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf