Author Topic: PLD Programmer for Microchip/Amtel PLD  (Read 3882 times)

Offline Fusion916Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
PLD Programmer for Microchip/Amtel PLD
« on: October 22, 2018, 01:09:01 am »
I have never done PLD programming but I am very familiar with microntroller programming, so I have a bit of background. I also know verilog so I'm no stranger to logic programming at all. I am not just familiar with PLD/CLPD in a hobbyist/non professional enviornment.

I am looking to get into PLD/CPLDs and I want to start with something simple:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/microchip-technology/ATF22V10C-5JX/1611-ATF22V10C-5JX-ND/6829465

In the datasheet it doesn't specifically recommend a programmer/IDE or anything. Can someone give recommendations on a decent priced programmer and software for programming?

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
Re: PLD Programmer for Microchip/Amtel PLD
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 01:19:39 am »
Probably should read this thread. The popular TL866 programmers doesn't support your Microchip/Atmel PLD so they're out.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:30:55 am »
Atmel PLDs are very much not recommended for new designs.  Unless something radically changed, the last time IDE was updated was 1996 or so and it does not run on any modern systems (modern being even WinXP).

Forget about them and go with something more mainstream.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:59:12 am by ataradov »
Alex

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 01:49:11 am »
If you're just getting into CPLDs, maybe something like the Lattice ispMACH?  Tools are current and free download, dev/breakout boards are cheap, chips are cheap, and I believe the environment is the same for their FPGA line too, so the workflow is portable if you want to move to a larger scale project down the line.

If not those, something like the Xilinx CoolRunner II series or Altera's MAX line - in the same fashion, the boards and chips are pretty cheap and the tools are portable to more complex devices from the same company.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 03:09:11 am »
Ok I'm going to give the Lattice ispMACH a try. Any recommendations on programmers (that support ISCP)? I'm going to try and use their ispLEVER Classic IDE.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 08:45:57 pm »
I suppose I'll just get this programmer

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/lattice-semiconductor-corporation/HW-USBN-2B/220-1934-ND/5015900

A bit expensive but I rather it just work rather than dick around with some cheap chinese programmer.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 09:26:03 pm »
Their requirements are pretty minimal, the cheap Chinese ones do the trick (it's what I've got).  I also went for the ispMACH4000ZE breakout board initially to figure things out and it comes with a USB connector that you can program it directly though, it has a JTAG header unpopulated, not sure if it can be configured to program other devices through that header, though.

Since it's using a standard JTAG interface (and only a few pins of it), any JTAG programmer recognized by the dev tools should be suitable, including probably many generic/cheap options and probably even tools from other manufacturers.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 10:56:38 pm »
Since it's using a standard JTAG interface (and only a few pins of it), any JTAG programmer recognized by the dev tools should be suitable, including probably many generic/cheap options and probably even tools from other manufacturers.

I wish that the Silicon Labs tools would recognize and use my Xilinx JTAG pods!
I wish that the Xilinx tools would recognize and use my Altera JTAG pod!
I wish that the Lattice tools would recognize and use my Silicon Labs JTAG pod!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 11:21:27 pm »
Their requirements are pretty minimal, the cheap Chinese ones do the trick (it's what I've got).  I also went for the ispMACH4000ZE breakout board initially to figure things out and it comes with a USB connector that you can program it directly though, it has a JTAG header unpopulated, not sure if it can be configured to program other devices through that header, though.

What is your recommendation for a cheap chinese programmer? Which one do you use? Also, I havent looked too closely at the data sheet yes, but does the ISCP happen through a USB connector? I would actually prefer a programmer with a standard single inline pin breakout header rather than soldering a USB connector on by board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf