Author Topic: Please for your input on my first mains pcb  (Read 2210 times)

Offline dimkastaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Please for your input on my first mains pcb
« on: April 23, 2017, 12:11:38 am »
I have been doing low voltage pcbs for some time now. I always kept my mains wiring off-board

Now I have to use a specific transformer that comes on a pcb mount footprint.

I have faston connectors on the mains side, added slots, put the traces at the bottom layer, and I will use protected parts. The transformer will be wired with series primaries (230V) and 2x24V AC (at 36VA) on the secondaries.

Could you please have a look at my pcb?

Thanks in advance for your input

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:24:18 am by dimkasta »

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: Please for your input on my first mains pcb
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:26:28 am »
Actual dimensions so we can check creepage and clearance?
I assume this is for 220V AC operation?

A link to the transformer would be useful so we can check its mass and mounting requirements.

IMHO you've weakened the board far too much with excessively large cutouts, coming far too close to each other and to the board edge.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:28:33 am by Ian.M »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 12:30:33 am »
IMO you need focus less on phase/neutral isolation as the fuse looks after that. I'd say the creepage distance between mains and LV was plenty without slots but it does little harm for them to be there BUT should the PCB with the transformer mounted be subject to any shock it can tear the pins from those potted PCB mount transformers and I strongly advise to have some holes for zip/cable ties to hold it firmly against the PCB.
Be aware excessive slotting can make the PCB more flexible and rigid componentry like transformers won't/don't flex like TH passives so some thought need be taken to only add enough slots to do the job.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 12:38:46 am »
As above +
The transformer will already have correct (+) clearances, so you don't need anything under it. Even the slots on the Inputs are superfluous, especially for the low
power your talking about. The ONE thing I'd add, is a MOV, after the fuse, across the primary. ~270VAC for a 230VAC IP. That will take care of any fly-back / voltage spikes
that would normally affect clearance requirements.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 12:43:46 am »
You haven't given any dimensions (that I can see). You just need to be sure you satisfy creepage and clearance requirements for the environment the board is going into.
7mm distance should be both easy to achieve and ok, but if you look up the requirements you probably get away with less.

One thing I will say is the size of the cutout near F1 (left centre) will make the board unnecessarily weak. That area near the centre tap on the primaries looks very weak.

Not even sure if you need that cut out anyway?
You need to maintain high isolation ~4000V  between primary and secondary but not between active and neutral.
IMO You probably only need the big slot in the centre about 3-4mm with rounded ends. Slots with rounded ends will be stronger.
Maybe bring the corner posts in a smidge too.

What are you using for terminals? I would use properly rated ones on the primary at least.
Silk screen the Active, and Neutral and what about earth? Might be nice to have one there in case you have a three wire lead.

Sorry 3 replies beat me to it.   :-\

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 02:00:02 am »
Thanks a lot for the quick responses guys.

I added a todo note to look for an appropriate mov and add it to the board

The board is 10x10cm

The slots are more or less 10mm wide and the corners should be rounded by the fab's milling machine. I will make them round anyway just to be sure

The mains connectors will be properly insulated and crimped faston connectors
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/418/NG_CD_62409_S_baseFilename-669300.pdf

Earth and switch connections will remain off-board

The transformer is this one
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/418/NG_CD_4900-RF65_D-680958.pdf

Thanks again

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 02:36:27 am »
The slots are more or less 10mm wide and the corners should be rounded by the fab's milling machine. I will make them round anyway just to be sure
Looking at some mains powered PCB's in my junk pile all the slots that provide mains creepage isolation are 1 mm wide.
As HFM mentioned without slots ~7mm+ board separation is used.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 02:53:32 am »
With 46.8mm from primary pins to secondary pins, you don't need any slots under the transformer.

You don't have nearly enough copper around the faston connector footprints to give enough strength for the usual stresses of mating and disconnecting that sort of connector.

Why not flip the transformer over, reduce the board size, and mount the transformer and board with long screws passing through both the board and transformer core mounting holes, with spacers between the board and the core so the compression doesn't stress the board excessively.   Move F1 to be parallel to the line of primary pins, with the tracks leading diagonally to it to reduce the overhang and provide a good place to add the suggested MOV across the primary inline with the fuse.   

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 01:07:11 pm »
I added two more screw holes for extra rigidity and made the slots 2mm wide. I already had screw holes on the footprint of the trafo, so I will fasten it with some screws to further reduce vibration stress

I also added a 275VAC (20mm) mov after the fuse.
https://gr.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=V20H275Pvirtualkey57610000virtualkey576-V20H275P

I also beefed up the faston pads and added vias to strengthen them even more. Not that I intend to do any frequent connecting/disconnecting. Just to be sure we won't have any issues there.

Once again, thanks a lot for your time guys

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 01:26:04 pm »
Put a spur on the N trace to move the MOV closer to the fuse, to get the L after the fuse  further away from the N faston. Move the L and N fastons closer together so you can get rid of the slots between them and the mounting holes, and get rid of the long slot under the transformer - you don't need it for creepage with the transformer's generous pri-sec pin spacing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf