Author Topic: Reset esp8266 when circuit *broken* with minimal power draw at rest  (Read 271 times)

Offline puterboyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I am using an esp8266 to monitor the continuity of a loop of wire (for an alarm).
When the loop is cut, I want to awaken the esp8266 from deep sleep and process the alarm signal.
I want to minimize power drain during the deep sleep phase to preserve battery power.

Note that the esp8266 typically awakens by driving RST low (e.g., grounding it) to create a HI->LOW transition.

Basicaly I need something to "invert" the signal so that cutting (i.e, interrupting) the signal will create an output that acts as a "sink" and drives RST low.

Using a pulldown resistor will surely draw too much current at rest.
Other choices I have considered are:
- One-shot/Monostable chip?
- Microcontroller?
- Discrete transistor circuit?
- MOSFET circuit? (with one end of loop grounded and the other end going into the GATE with high value resistor to VCC and RST attached to SRC with DRAIN grounded so that when loop is broken, gate is pulled high and and source is driven low)

Note total loop resistance is about 50-60 ohms (it's a 200ft+ loop of thing gauge wire)

So what circuit & components would you recomend so that current draw is minimized when monitoring loop before cut?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 05:14:07 am by puterboy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf