Author Topic: Probing medium speed signals  (Read 1810 times)

Offline DubbieTopic starter

• Supporter
Probing medium speed signals
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:20:17 am »
Hi,
I'm working on a design at the moment using an Artix-7 FPGA. It's not a particularly  fast design, but I've been a little surprised at how crappy the square waves look on the scope. What I want to know is; is what I'm seeing normal? is it the best I can expect?

With regards to probing technique, the signal is coming out an 0.1" header pin adjacent to a GND pin. I am using the standard 500Mhz keysight passive probe with the spring ground thingy. (no long crocodile lead or witches hat grabber)

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
Rhys.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Re: Probing medium speed signals
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 03:07:38 am »
Did you compensate the probe before?
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:18:55 am »
Sorry, forgot to mention, yes, the probe is properly compensated.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 03:26:09 am »
Data gets to where it's needed with no problem? Then it looks fine to me. There might be some sort of pre-emphasis or "strong drive" option on your drivers. Maybe you can turn it off and it'll settle down the edges a bit, you'll reduce current consumption and heat dissipation too.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 03:30:53 am »
Yes, everything seems to be functioning properly. It's just because I haven't done much before above a few tens of Mhz, I just wanted to check that I wasn't doing anything boneheaded! Thanks for the suggestion regarding drive. I'll play around with the drive settings and see what I see. This is only my second FPGA project, so I am very green.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 04:38:31 am »
It's all about the edge rates.   

I bought one of those ARTY boards to play with and I still have not done anything with it.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 09:17:14 am »
The edge rate will depend on the type of driver inside the Artix; there are many, and they can be chosen inside the design tool (presumably Vivado).

The standard probe compensation is irrelevant w.r.t. the overshoot. The standard probe compensation is done with ~1kHz signals. If it is incorrect then at these frequencies all you would see is that the entire signal has a higher than expected amplitude, but the shape is unchanged. Some probes, especially older ones, have extra high frequency compensation "hidden" inside the case that plugs into the scope. Those, if any, would significantly affect that waveform's shape.

Don't forget that at 500MHz the "high" impedance probe's input impedance is <50ohms :)

Personally I would use an active probe, or a commercial "low" impedance Z0 probe, or make one myself. FFI, see https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 09:39:01 am »
Thanks for the link tggzzz, some good reading in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf