Author Topic: PyDSA - spectrum analyzer for rigol scopes  (Read 3715 times)

Offline hammyTopic starter

• Supporter
PyDSA - spectrum analyzer for rigol scopes
« on: September 22, 2015, 05:40:02 pm »
Found an article about PyDSA, a spectrum analyzer for use with an DS1054z scope.
It looks like a nice low cost solution for hobby purpose.
http://hackaday.com/2015/09/22/a-better-spectrum-analyzer-for-your-rigol-scope/

PyDSA, a software spectrum analyzer for Rigol DS1000 oscilloscopes. This tool uses the USB connection on the scope to fetch samples, and does the number crunching on a far more powerful PC. It’s able to plot a 16,000 point FFT at two sweeps per second when run on a decent computer.
PyDSA is a Python script that makes use of the Virtual Instrument Software Architecture (VISA) interface to control the scope and fetch the sample data.

Cheers
hammy

PS: Git sources: https://github.com/rheslip/PyDSA

Offline adam_b

Re: PyDSA - spectrum analyzer for rigol scopes
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 02:07:54 pm »
I tried to run spectrum analyzer with my DS1054Z and it's work but my Rigol displays all time during work with PyDSA error "Function limited!" and "Can Operate Now!". Is this normal ?  I have test software with patch and version for 1054Z and make the same.?

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 04:52:40 am »
I tried to run spectrum analyzer with my DS1054Z and it's work but my Rigol displays all time during work with PyDSA error "Function limited!" and "Can Operate Now!". Is this normal ?  I have test software with patch and version for 1054Z and make the same.?

This behavior is "normal" and it occurred before the latest patch.

Please note that this software was written, I believe, before the "Memory" FFT mode was introduced. This software is equivalent to transporting the data gathered from the FFT "trace" mode and putting it on a computer.

It would be interesting to see if it's possible to get the data from the "Memory" mode onto the computer and use that instead.

Offline adam_b

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:19:21 pm »
Thank you for your answer. I not fully understand, is possible the program with a patch for the DS1054Z works well with no errors ? I tried DS1054Z version by Kerr Smith and initial release with patch 1054Z by Marcus - both worked the same.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf