Author Topic: Q: LVDS, LCDs, TCONs, and PC motherboards  (Read 1062 times)

Offline rea5245Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Q: LVDS, LCDs, TCONs, and PC motherboards
« on: March 24, 2017, 07:58:20 pm »
Hi,

I want to make a PC case with an LCD in it. Option one is to get a motherboard with an LVDS port (actually a Flat Panel Display Link, FPD-Link; some mini-ITX boards have one, presumably for people to make All-in-ones) and have a direct connection to an LCD. Option 2 is to get a motherboard with the standard HDMI ports on the back and have an HDMI cable plug into it, go through a hole in the case, and connect to a disassembled LCD monitor that supports HDMI.

If I understand correctly, an FPD-Link cable goes to a TCON (timing controller) board which then connects to an LCD. What I'm not clear on is whether LCDs typically come with the TCON board or not.

For example, there are a lot of LCDs sold for the Raspberry Pi with an HDMI/VGA driver board. Does that board include a TCON so that it drives the LCD directly, or is the board converting HDMI into FPD-Link, which then connects to a TCON that's part of the LCD module?

It makes a difference in how I hook an LCD up to the LVDS connector on a PC motherboard. If the Raspberry Pi LCD has a TCON included, should I be able to hook it directly to the PC motherboard? (A side question is, is FPD-Link standard, or do I need to pay attention to which LCDs it's compatible with?) Or do I need an LVDS-to-TCON board?

Thank you,
   Bob
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:01:27 pm by rea5245 »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Q: LVDS, LCDs, TCONs, and PC motherboards
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 05:01:50 am »
Separate TCON is usually found in large TV-sized panels; laptop and typical desktop LCDs have it built in to the panel, which accepts LVDS signals.

Your best option may be to disassemble a suitable laptop and rearrange its components.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf