Author Topic: Re tasking an Elliott Xray box into a Linear power supply and more with pics.  (Read 1323 times)

Offline beanflyingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Only because I think it is kind of interesting  :)

I purchased this partly for the installed linear power supply and the nice Hans Knurr German Plug in Case for the rest of my project. This will become the home for Bench LiPo charging and fixed voltage Power supplies instead of the hotch potch I currently have.

I will take a few pictures of the rotary encoder/counter modules in the next few days. No use for them 'yet' but maybe leave them in the front panels anyway for reasons of  8)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 02:06:36 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
So time to actually get around to this job properly. I brought this box initially to turn into a low noise Linear power supply and LiPo charger for my Voltage and other References along with replacing the switchmode supply to my 25C Peltier Cabinet (formerly wine fridge). The rest of the Case will likely house an Electronic Load but that is to be decided depending on noise generated.

Getting into the main power supply section which will be simplified into supplying rectified and initially filtered DC to the Plug in Amphenol Connectors on the rear of the plug ins then localized LDO regulators and any additional filtration placed nearer to their intended job. The 20V dual tapped 100VA Transformer isn't needed for any of these current jobs but I will stay and be used for some form of LDO based variable supply.

For more than the cost of the initial purchase I have a 100VA 12V Transformer and 20,000uF cap coming from E14. I am regretting the major clean out I had over 10 years ago of the 'junk' I had salvaged or collected over time which had a large box of Transformers just having cost me $100.  :palm:

More happy snaps after fitting the extra Transformer and bits along with some 'decent' diameter cable unlike the LandRover grade meltdown quality in the original unit. 8A Transformers wired to 6A Bridge Rectifiers using 7 strand .2mm wire  :scared:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
Steam cleaning 40 years of crud from the case. Removed perished rubber sleeves and wire from the rear connectors.

Mains wiring in progress.

• Super Contributor
After a long Easter delayed trip from E14's UK warehouse the extra 12V transformer and Cap arrived so I could play a game of Heavy Metal Tetris. Even when I ordered the extra bits I thought it would be tight but reality was a lot worse.  :palm:

Move all the bits possible vertically out to the top and bottom Aluminium perforated panels to improve volume, make a custom Acrylic mount for the Caps, cut, grind, chop, sand and nibble my way to a resolution including fitting a cheapy Chinese mains power meter into the front panel. I could have most likely skipped or shrunk the heatsink for the Rectifiers but there is potentially 20+W to dissipate. The Switched Bleeder resistors (circa 40-50 second) for the caps double up as current reduction for the front panel LED's (1k, 2.2k and 4.7K). All outputs are electrically isolated at this stage.

I should have ordered some other coloured cable but Red and Black 16AWG it is and fairly straight forward wiring to followif needed. Doubled up the output pins on the Amphenol connector as they are only rated to 5A each. 6.5kg btw is the weight of this bit :o

Will boot it up tomorrow and have a look on the scope. Next bay is the LiPo charger  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf