Author Topic: RC2014 Retrocomputer Boards I've Designed  (Read 1490 times)

Offline jblangTopic starter

RC2014 Retrocomputer Boards I've Designed
« on: December 09, 2018, 04:49:48 am »
I've been lurking a while and I thought I would share some of the PCBs I've designed for the RC2014 retrocomputer over the past year.

Started out with a breadboarded Z80 and SRAM with an AVR as the boot loader and I/O, then decided to make it into a module for the RC2014, called the z80ctrl.  I've written quite an extensive monitor environment that runs on the AVR without any support from the Z80.  It can load hex and binary files from SD card into the Z80's ram and run CP/M using emulated Altair disk images stored on the card.  It can also bridge other SPI peripherals to the Z80, and I've also built an add on I/O expander and RTC board to go along with it.  It allows breakpoints and tracing with realtime disassembly as the Z80 executes the code.

After that, I got interested in turning the RC2014 into a retro game machine, so I've also designed a set of modules that allow the RC2014 to play unmodified ColecoVision games: TMS9918A video card, SN76589 sound card, and joystick interface board.

I designed all the boards myself using KiCad. These are the first PCBs I've ever designed.  I've gone through several REVs of the boards but I'm pretty happy where they're at now.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 04:55:07 am by jblang »

The following users thanked this post: oPossum, daybyter

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
Re: RC2014 Retrocomputer Boards I've Designed
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 03:28:12 pm »
This is outside of my area of interest, but I want to complement you on the really great work. Thanks for sharing.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: RC2014 Retrocomputer Boards I've Designed
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 07:07:43 pm »
I have a couple of the RC2014 kits including the one for CP/M.   They are a lot of fun to build but I haven't found an application.  I have a 50 MHz Z80 version of CP/M and it is FAST!  But I still don't have an application.  Maybe one day...

I did build the T80 FPGA clone of the Z80 and it is currently running PacMan.  I just haven't got room for the bar table that would complete the project.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf