Author Topic: Rebuilding Heathkit sb-401  (Read 4181 times)

Offline SlashBusterTopic starter

Rebuilding Heathkit sb-401
« on: January 22, 2015, 08:16:18 pm »
Hi,
I have a problem. I want to rebuild the heathkit sb-401 with an digital frequency counter. But there are some crystals which does not exist anymore or they are way to expensive. Any ideas how to solve this or replace them with something else?

Thank you in advance
:)

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
Re: Rebuilding Heathkit sb-401
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 08:36:03 pm »
Entering "Heathkit sb-401 crystals" into Google will show some nice results.

However, if you want to replace the crystals with something modern, a simple DDS (direct digital synthesis) sine-wave generator might be a good choice. Those modules cost typically around $10 - $20.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:40:34 pm by Kalvin »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 08:42:45 pm »
there is mutiple options
- change jobs so you make more money so you can afford the expensive ones
- cut your own
- find such a  heathkit receiver and strip it for parts
- buy a few cheap programmable oscillator chips for silabs or epson and set them to the frequency you need.
- dithc this old 'nostalgic' crufty design altogether and build something more modern that uses pll tuning
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:42:46 pm »
As Kalvin said the DDS would be your best route to go.
I was working on a few older units myself.
But I do have to warn you, judging by you post on this it may be too big of a task for you to handle. Especially not knowing your experience in electronics and old rigs like the 401.
This is not a plug and play modification.

- - dithc this old 'nostalgic' crufty design altogether and build something more modern that uses pll tuning

Under normal conditions I would disagree since I love nostalgic radios myself. but I must agree with free_electron not knowing your skill level.  I always encourage folks to learn and repair their own rigs.
Perhaps it would be better to find a buyer for the 401 and purchase a more modern rig that fits your needs
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:45:42 pm by Radio Tech »

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:53:22 pm »
Thank you for your anwser. So I am a Ham. And I know how these circuit work but I always like to hear the opinions from others, maybe someone haves an idea I never would thought of. I think the dds is a good option. You can get the kits cheap from ebay. But I have to try it. The reason I want to rebuild this, is that it was the best transmitter from heathkit and here in Germany you can't get them. And there are only a few SSB transmitters that work well.

Thank you very much
73's from DO1KBB

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 12:31:09 am »
Thank you for your anwser. So I am a Ham. And I know how these circuit work but I always like to hear the opinions from others, maybe someone haves an idea I never would thought of. I think the dds is a good option. You can get the kits cheap from ebay. But I have to try it. The reason I want to rebuild this, is that it was the best transmitter from heathkit and here in Germany you can't get them. And there are only a few SSB transmitters that work well.

Thank you very much
73's from DO1KBB

Well that changes everything. DDS is the way to go. I use a small board that contains a pic chip with a DDS board piggy backed on it.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 10:58:54 am »
Try Quartslab for your crystals, I have used them before. (Note, the spelling is correct here).
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 11:46:42 am »
If you are restoring the old transmitter you should really try to find crystals! There are offerings on Ebay and such for a reasonable amount.... Apparently they left them out, as the transmitter was supposed to be used with the SB-301 receiver.

I would NOT use a DDS here, far too much spurs. If replacing the crystals with something modern, why not a Si-570 and a one-chip processor. Great performance! Just make sure you do have the correct output voltage, usually high impedance and high voltages due to tubes.

Good Luck and have fun with your old Heathkit transmitter !!

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 01:06:42 pm »
How expensive are these crystals from quartslab?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf