Author Topic: Dynamic Braking with minimal components [SOLVED]  (Read 4234 times)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Dynamic Braking with minimal components
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 12:32:40 pm »
Here are some pics from my Dremel

The schematic is reverse engineered, i think i've got it correctly.
It looks wrong to me.

Q1 should be P-channel, otherwise it will do nothing. The current will just flow though the body diode. D1 should be in parallel with the motor, so it acts as a freewheel diode.

Offline anishkgtTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 01:48:43 pm »
My previous schematic was incomplete as the PCB was not clear. I've removed all the components and looks good now.

D1 is a dual diode with common Anode. The working is like this when in the OFF State as seen in the schematic, current flows from M2 through D1 and into the M1 of the motor. Making it a dead short aka Dynamic Brake.

In the ON State current flows through M1, through M2 and D1, when the Gate of Q1 is pulsed it conducts and completes the circuit.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:02:13 pm by anishkgt »

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 07:38:25 pm »
A quick update i just tested this circuit and the braking is hard stops very fast compared to just shorting the terminal of the Motor. I've omitted the MOSFET part of the circuit as i already have a pwm controlled module to control the speed of the motor.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 07:45:36 pm »
If that stops fast enough then what was this thread about in the first place?...

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 07:47:39 pm »
Without the D1, the stopping from max run to a complete stop took about 10 to 20 seconds. With it takes less than 5 Seconds.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2019, 07:49:10 pm »
The diode doesn't do anything as shown.

Tim

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2019, 07:53:24 pm »
D1 shunts the current due to the inductance of the motor armature winding (This is NOT the same thing as the voltage generates while still spinning. It is the opposite polarity to that.)

Without D1 there would be high voltage spikes which here is shunt by the D1. It also helps to maintain the current through the motor during the PWM off time.

Explanation from another user in another forum for the same question i had asked. :)

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2019, 08:41:12 pm »
Right, it catches freewheeling, but the inductance carries a tiny fraction of the rotating energy.  The inductance is discharged within 10ms, then current drops to zero and it's spinning down with an open circuit.

Tim

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 11:00:33 am »
D1 shunts the current due to the inductance of the motor armature winding (This is NOT the same thing as the voltage generates while still spinning. It is the opposite polarity to that.)

Without D1 there would be high voltage spikes which here is shunt by the D1. It also helps to maintain the current through the motor during the PWM off time.

Explanation from another user in another forum for the same question i had asked. :)

As mentioned above, that doesn't break the motor. The energy stored in the motor's inductance is tiny, compared to the mechanical inertia, which generates a voltage a little lower than the supply voltage, assuming it's running at full speed. Try turning the shaft with that circuit connected, then again with nothing connected and note that it makes little difference. Now try turning the shaft with the motor's terminals short circuited and note how much more difficult it is to turn. If it's a small motor, without a gearbox, the difference may not be noticeable, as the torque will be tiny but it will be with a larger or geared motor.

My previous schematic was incomplete as the PCB was not clear. I've removed all the components and looks good now.

D1 is a dual diode with common Anode. The working is like this when in the OFF State as seen in the schematic, current flows from M2 through D1 and into the M1 of the motor. Making it a dead short aka Dynamic Brake.

In the ON State current flows through M1, through M2 and D1, when the Gate of Q1 is pulsed it conducts and completes the circuit.
That looks right, but you've got the values of R1 and R2 wrong. 400Ω is far too high and will drop such a high voltage, hardly any current will flow through the motor. The letter L is used to denote milliOhms and R1 and R2 are marked 4L0, which means 4m0, so they're 4mΩ or 0.004Ω. See the links below for more information on SMD resistor marking.
https://www.rohm.com/datasheet/PMR18EZPFV/pmr-e
https://www.vishay.com/docs/20020/smdmark.pdf

Try measuring R1 and R2 with a multimeter and they should read short circuit, as their value is well below the minimum resistance most multimeters can reliably read.

The circuit short circuits the motor, which is fine for a load without too much inertia, as the motor can safely dissipate the energy in its windings, but it will be no good in an application such as an electric vehicle, which would cause the motor, wiring and switch to overheat, especially when going down a hill. In applications which require breaking a large mechanical load, the motor is briefly short circuited, the current monitored until it exceeds a certain level, then it's connected back up to the battery for long enough for the voltage generated by its inductance to be clamped by the battery, before being briefly short circuited again. The motor's inductance is being used as the inductor in a boost converter, with the load, being the battery and the supply voltage the back-EMF generated by the spinning armature.

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
Re: Dynamic Braking with minimal components [SOLVED]
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 09:22:39 am »

If I need to regulate the braking power would it be ideal to have a 4R 5W resistor in series with M2 and D1 ?

Www.Georgehobby.wordpress.com

Equipments: DSO104z, Hakko FX888D, Brymen BM869s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf