Author Topic: Retired at 47 ...... what to do now ? Discussion thread  (Read 33478 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Retired at 47 ...... what to do now ? Discussion thread
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 09:08:06 pm »

@howardlong

Sadly being an inventor can be a very challenging role these days as Trevor Baylis found out. The Chinese manufacturer apparently made some small changes to his design and cut him out of the business. He is now totally broke and had to release the equity in his house to live.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9875026/Trevor-Baylis-Ive-wound-up-broke-despite-inventions.html

Dyson did better but then he is a very savvy businessman.

Aurora

It can be, but as I discovered a few years ago as long as you can maintain unique features and nurture a brand in a niche space, you can make it work, and I'm far from a savvy business man. Yes there will, eventually, be competitors if it works out. If you are of independent means, you have little to lose. I'm not saying it's all a bed of roses, far from it, but you learn an awful lot quickly, and the hard way, that's for sure! We're all different though, but giving up before I'd even started would probably not bode well!

Are you looking for a pastime or something that pays? Or a bit of both?

When I retired I learned to fly a plane, in fact, I was 47 like you when I started learning, it was one of those bucket list things, but I did fixed wing, and that is expensive, but not as crazy as rotary. I am not sure about your condition, but an aviation medical examiner will be able to help you there. We have a lady and a guy at my club who learned at the same time I did who're both well into their 80s, the fella doesn't have a current medical so has to fly with an instructor, but the lady bimbles around the skies as pilot in command no problem.

But as tggzzz suggested, it ain't cheap, and gliders are a lot more reasonable in that respect.

I am not sure if you've already have a ticket, but you could get you ham licence, that's a bit more down to earth, but it would give you something to do with your RF experience. Most of my ham radio stuff is satellite related, and I now design satellite comms payloads and groundstation equipment commercially as a result, but there are plenty of other facets. And you don't need morse code any more. i can just about read morse code, but you'd be waiting for a long time for me to decode a message.

Anyway just some ideas, but are you more interested in something that pays?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:18:25 am by Howardlong »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 09:11:18 pm »
If you do not have to go to work, you will have a lot of time to become rich.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 09:41:57 pm »
Shame about the OP's ME; I sort-of hoped it wouldn't be a complete impediment. BTW I've seen a T21/Cadet being looped - must have scared the bejaysus out of the woodworm :)

But as tggzzz suggested, it ain't cheap, and gliders are a lot more reasonable in that respect.

And, most importantly: fun. You don't know what's going to happen on your next flight: you might thermal with buzzards, or get to 10k-20kft (UK record 37kft), or go for 300-1000km (normal-unlikely!), or you might just get spat out of the sky. Example annual refresher flight... See buzzards while waiting for launch hope they'll show us where lift is, 45s later at altitude dig so in a wing to do a 180, but fail to find them. Blunder into a thermal and rise to 2kft and a red kite whizzes past. Since it is the first we've seen, do another snappy 180 and take 30s to overtake it at a distance of a couple of wingtips. Do a spin and recover, instructor takes control, puts me into the entry to a chandelle at a really stupid position, hands me control and tells me to land safely. A grand total of 7 minutes long :)

It is reputed that the glider->powered transition brings two problems - remembering you can fly straight and level, then trying to stay awake when flying straight and level.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 11:20:37 am »
It is reputed that the glider->powered transition brings two problems - remembering you can fly straight and level, then trying to stay awake when flying straight and level.

There is a third one, trying to keep out of the way of gliders, but at least that's a reason to stay awake!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 11:27:32 am »
I know that I have enough capital to last me until my Pension is paid at 60

Surviving on the pension at 60 would suck, a lot. At least in Australia.
I wouldn't blow your wad doing nothing until you hit 60. Find something you enjoy that brings in some income.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 11:49:10 am »
Consider doing consult work, you probably can pick up some that involves managing a team or other sort of job that calls for experience, not a knowledge of the intricacies but with a good broad experience.
I agree. I would start working as a consultant. Not having the care about the finances could allow to only pick both interesting and well paid projects (or skip the well paid part).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 03:09:50 pm »
Just follow your passion, and we know you have tons of passion because all your posts were beautiful a big help for this community.
Personally it was always a pleasure to follow you here at the EEVBlog.

We all have a heart which works, just follow the direction is pointing to.

I don´t want to talk about feelings, just look at your reality and (maybe) think less, I am sure there is something is your life which is calling you.
IMHO when I think too much I am probably in the wrong path, life at the bottom is an easy thing.

This is just my personal experience, nothing more and nothing less. I am sorry if I have irritated someone by writing this, it was not my intention.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 03:43:15 pm »
There is a third one, trying to keep out of the way of gliders, but at least that's a reason to stay awake!

And not to (illegally) rely on electronic maps which don't show winch sites :(
And not to be so occupied with fiddling with engines/radios that you are "heads down" when you need to be heads up looking out the cockpit :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 05:21:56 pm »
take a pair of swim trunks, sunglasses and flipflops and a few t-shirts and book a plane to Maui or tahiti or the maldives and go relax for a few weeks.

then you will have a clearer mind and can start thinking about maybe doing some consulting work
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 05:27:07 pm »
I effectively retired (VES) on Friday after 27 years serving HMG...

This is an international site. Don't assume familiarity with your local context.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 06:28:31 pm »
Come on Zapta, you have to have watched a Bond flick or two.  Even this low brow west coast yank can translate.

VES  (Voluntary End of Service)

HMG (Her Majesties Government)

On an international site like this it behooves us all to handle BOTH sides of getting along.  a.  Try not to use too much local lingo.  b.  Try to understand other cultures

I don't happen to recognize M. E., but then it is really none of my business.  I hope he is able to recover from whatever it is, and have fun in his retirement.

Online FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 09:16:48 pm »
Thank you everyone for all of your continued comments.

Common sense and good ideas are here aplenty. Thank you  :-+

I will 'panic slowly'  ;D It is time to rest and recharge before making any decision about what to do moving forwards. I knew that the membership of this forum would have some wise words to consider and I was not disappointed  :-+

Apologies for using short form references that are UK Centric.  I originally provided my employers name but then thought better of it as it isn't that relevant.

M.E. is Myalgic Encephalopathy also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/about/what-is-mecfs/

Not wanting to turn this into a medical thread but some readers may be interested to hear what happened to me as it is becoming more common and is still not well understood by the medical profession.

1. I caught a cold / flu type Virus
2. My immune system kicked in and I recovered in a week.
3. My immune system failed to disengage and went on to attack the soft tissues in my joints.
4. Rushed to hospital with suspected Septic Arthritus. (a potentially fatal illness). Disproved in Hospital  :phew:
5. Many tests and blood tests later and the medical profession eventually identified Erythema Nodosum and I had a very severe case of it affecting many parts of the body.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/erythema-nodosum-pro

...... the auto immune system misfires and attacks healthy tissues that it mistakenly identifies as foreign bodies or a Virus.  Masses of medication and several months later, I conquered the Erythema Nodosum (EN). The medical profession say that the EN is a symptom but they could not identify the cause of the immune system misfire. My case was fully documented as it was unusual in its severity and the fact that my own immune system had done so much damage to healthy tissues before being 'restrained' by medication.
6. I thought I was all better but within a month I had weird symptoms of something else. No energy, pain all over the body, poor sleep, fuzzy mind, any exertion causing total collapse needing prolonged rest....plus lots of other nasty stuff that I will not bore the readership with. Masses of blood tests and many months later, and the medical profession declared me a sufferer of M.E. aka Chronic fatigue Syndrome (CFS), likely caused by a Virus. No virus has been identified to date though. I was even tested for PARVO Virus  :o  The Erythema Nodosum required treatment with some pretty 'toxic' medication and that may also have contributed to the M.E. we just do not know.

All this happened over the past four years and I have only good words for my employer as they really put some effort into keeping me working within my capabilities. I had a very responsible job making important decisions that affected the whole organisation, yet they kept me on as I produced the goods. It was my decision to effectively retire this year as my M.E. is not improving and the best treatment is rest, relaxation, plenty of good food and fresh air. No one can predict when the M.E will pass and I will return to normal.

As I say I do not want to turn this into a medical thread but some of you may not have been aware of what M.E is and how flippin awful it is. It does not discriminate, it can hit any one of us just because of a simple Virus or period of illness. It is very surprising and worrying that M.E appears to be becoming much more common these days and no one knows its causation mechanism or why it is affecting people who are otherwise healthy. If you ask around, it is not uncommon for colleagues to have family members or friends with M.E. All a bit worrying really.

My sincere thanks to all who have offered suggestions and especially to one forum member who has made a very interesting comment regarding Vitamin B12 and its possible involvement with M.E. A matter I will take up with my doctor next week.

I truly hope none of you ever suffer from M.E. (CFS). It's no fun.

Fraser

aka Aurora
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:59:40 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 10:20:44 pm »
With the rapid expansion of Thermal Imaging I'd expect your skill set to be an asset. I've seen a few industrial applications of Thermal Cameras popping up (mostly on production lines with explosive vapours), add that to the cheap sensors that are becoming available for OEM integration, there's a consultancy business in there somewhere.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 10:23:22 pm »
Aurora, I looked up M.E. yesterday.  Very scary.  The most important thing you can do right now is heal.  You have the resources to take as much time as you need.  Be 'aggressive' in your rest, relaxation and rejuvenation ;D  There isn't even a need to panic slowly.  If it takes a month, it takes a month.  If it takes a year, it takes a year.  Just make sure you have a clean bill of health.  Design and build some simple projects for yourself/ friends/family, get a stack of books from your favorite authors, and, of course, spend hours here at the EEVBlog. :-+ :-+ :-+  I hope and pray you will be back on your feet in no time.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 10:47:53 pm »
Thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Fraser

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 01:45:14 am »
I don't happen to recognize M. E., but then it is really none of my business.
same here but it seems it affected everything discussed here. first i thought its a "Mechanical Engineering" but it didnt add up, so there's Google luckily the abbrv is easy to find. the symptom is temporary memory loss and muscle pain... man i sometime have those, i can forget my friend's name for a moment, i hope it only got to do with how i trained my brain to work, i usually deal with logic so maybe linguistic is easily forgotten :P i have muscle pain too but that i also hope due to i lifted heavy item when i moved home 3 years ago and aging.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 01:58:52 am »
No virus has been identified to date though. I was even tested for PARVO Virus  :o  The Erythema Nodosum required treatment with some pretty 'toxic' medication and that may also have contributed to the M.E. we just do not know.
eat healthy food, herbs and all, exercise healthy lifestyle (like dont go out round the world or paragliding and err dont consume more viruses ;)) and most importantly, keep the peace of mind.... "submission and let go of all your possesion" (jedi advice). dont rely too much on technological advancement you may turn into lab rat. i heard several cases where person are ok and healthy like nothing before diagnosis, but when diagnosed positive cancer, their psychology went down hill at freefall speed, plus with chemotherepy and all this chemical pills, they died faster then they should...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 09:18:10 am »
I agree. I would start working as a consultant. Not having the care about the finances could allow to only pick both interesting and well paid projects (or skip the well paid part).
I'm not sure I would under the circumstances... at least, not unless you can be very selective about what you work on, and with whom.

I've been doing it full time since the middle of last year. It can be an absolute blast; cool projects, great people, decent money. But it can also get very stressful and time consuming, and you never really know when something is going to put a spanner in the works.

In short, it's been anything but relaxing. My dream of working a 3 or 4 day week on fun stuff only was shattered before it even began!

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 10:00:37 am »
I'm not sure I would under the circumstances... at least, not unless you can be very selective about what you work on, and with whom.

I've been doing it full time since the middle of last year. It can be an absolute blast; cool projects, great people, decent money. But it can also get very stressful and time consuming, and you never really know when something is going to put a spanner in the works.

In short, it's been anything but relaxing. My dream of working a 3 or 4 day week on fun stuff only was shattered before it even began!

^^^This^^^ when a customer wants something they are going to be far less forgiving than an employer.

I recommend fishing, or bird watching, and eating well, and walks in the woods, and good company. Plus of course, some electronics for fun.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 10:11:48 am »
Maybe, to keep your interest in, volunteer as a broadcast technician for a community radio station, or instructor for a ham radio club.

Here in oz we have Technical Aid for the Disabled http://www.tadaustralia.org.au/ which, to quote from their Victorian site:

volunteers apply their technical knowledge to build equipment solutions that enable people with disabilities to achieve their goals.
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2015, 01:25:13 pm »
Again,my thanks for the suggestions and comments. It has been great help to have others air their thoughts  :)

I have sat in a lovely sunny conservatory today and considered next steps. My plan follows :

1. Stop feeling sorry for myself. I don't usually but the news that Leonard Nimmoy (Mr Spock) died on Friday seems to have triggered some negative thinking. I am a fan of the original Star Trek series and was sad to hear of his death.

2.Stop trying to run before I can walk. I 'retired' in order to regain my health. That will take time and plenty of rest. No need to vegitate though. There are still plenty of low impact activities that I can engage in.

3. Get out and about and enjoy the break from the 'rat race' Its a luxury that many would give their right arm for !  I have worked hard for 27 years and maybe a break is just what I need. I live on the very edge of town with fields all around me and a lovely river nearby containing much varied wildlife.....time to enjoy it. I am also going on a Fred Olsen cruise to Norway in June. I love Noway and its people and have cruised around the coast many times. Very relaxing and you can do as much or as little as you desire whilst enjoying the views and good food.

4. Investigate possible activities and/or remedies that may assist in my recovery from M.E. It is a challenging illness but that is no reason to give up. I don't when I am repairing equipment so why take that attitude with myself  ;)

5. When recovered to a point that I can do a full days work for at least 3 days a week, make contact with my previous employer and investigate whether they have any work that they would like me to assist with. They have already said that they want to keep in touch and did not want to lose my skillset. They were a great employer and rare these days.... I was able to change roles every three years if I desired. I became a specialist is certain interesting topics however and fortunately my skillset is in great demand these days. Th difference will be that I will work on my terms as a consultant rather than being part of the 'service'. We used to buy in talent all the time so who knows?

6. If I cannot get enough work from my previous employer I shall investigate other part time working opportunities such as technical support roles, specialist repair services working from my lab, or even a role that is not technical if that suits my needs at the time. Milton Keynes is a few miles away from my home and a hotbed of technology companies. We also have a new inshore Marina nearby and I may even be able to get some freelance work repairing the boats electronic systems. I already have eight Raytheon small boat Radar systems sitting in the shed to practice on ! (I was trained as a Radar Tech in the late 1980's)

7. Most important of all will be to concentrate on what is right for me and my family. I have nothing to complain about really. My wife is a true angel and I have a nice house with a newly built sunny conservatory and three adorable cats for company and relaxation (adorable to me anyway  ;D ). Stroking a cat is very therapeutic and relaxing you know  ;)

8. When able I will engage in old and new interests, other than buying masses of weird surplus equipment off of ebay  :scared: My wife is patient but there are limits and she wants me to sort out what I already have before adding more to the collection  ;D

Well that is my plan, it may change somewhat but at least I have a heading to steer  :-+

Thanks again all.

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:29:41 pm by Aurora »

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 01:31:11 pm »
and three adorable cats for company and relaxation
1) Train cats to do something cool/cute
2) Make viral cat Youtube video
3) profit!
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2015, 02:03:27 pm »
Now there is an idea !  ;D

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2015, 02:45:07 pm »
and three adorable cats for company and relaxation
1) Train cats to do something cool/cute
Contrary to common belief that is actually possible. My sister managed to train our cats to sit up nicely next to each other (and not use their paws+nails to just grab a piece of cat candy from your hands).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2015, 03:54:12 pm »
Sorry guys but training cats in combination with electronic engineering I get spooky thoughts about electrical shocking the cat till it does what you want  :palm:
I have had dogs and since 5 year two cats, I do not believe anymore you can train a cat, if there is one ego-centric absolutely non conforming or listening animal that just does what he wants on this planet, yup it is a cat.  >:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf