Author Topic: Lighting Project  (Read 3406 times)

Offline SimpCircTopic starter

Lighting Project
« on: March 08, 2014, 07:37:25 am »
Lately I've been designing a lighting Idea that makes use of some recycled materials. So far I've decided to use a basic power board. It has voltage regulation, circuit protection, smoothing of the DC waveform, a near 1 sec delay circuit (~700 miliseconds), and LED's. I'm thinking of adding a simple wireless feature as an in between module between the power and light board. I can get away with this because the light board has only the LED's and Resistors on it. It's also designed as a disconnect of the twelve volt rail. Trying to work a way that it will disconnect the AC as well without running AC in a Quick run through the Lighting board. Any Ideas and assistance would be great. Sorry no pictures yet. :-//  I can however post my board design if anyone asks for it. I don't have a schematic (Designed that in my head) but I can quickly draw that up and upload a picture of that as well. ^-^
Once I've perfected it I may post a link to my site to sell it, course most of the circuits in it are fairly common so it may just be a novel Idea for me to play with. Eh, We Shall See. :)

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
Re: Lighting Project
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 07:53:56 am »
I read that block of text a couple of times and can't really tell what you're wanting / planning to do.  Posting some more details along with a schematic or block diagram will help you get more responses I think.

Offline SimpCircTopic starter

Re: Lighting Project
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:42:14 am »
Sorry. It just goes to show I shouldn't type tired. I'll share the schematic after going to bed.

Lets see if this helps a little.

I have been designing a light which uses some recycled materials. What I'm asking for is ideas to help the design process along. Also ways to simplify it or make it safer without sacrificing much on quality.

The design has a simple power supply that uses a a 110/120 V - 17 V transformer. That gets run through a Bridge rectifier to a 12V buck regulator and Smoothing circuitry (Just a few caps). This in turn runs to a 700 millisecond delay circuit. That circuit  provides a small buffer for the LED's and gives enough time for all the other circuitry to warm up in a manner of speaking. Any Improvement needed? Add components? Remove components?

The lighting board is composed of 2 resistors and 8 LED's and is used as a quick disconnect for the 12 supply. I am also trying to figure out a way to use it to turn the AC on and off when you remove and replace it. I don't want to shunt 120V through the light board so, need some help on that.

(This is just me thinking out loud need to know if it's a good move) I was considering adding an intermediate dimming board. Seeing as the the light board is very simple and doesn't contain much in the way of components theres room for dimming control. Maybe making It wireless would be good?

I've attached the board designs to maybe make it easier. The Schematic and Block Diagram will have to wait till tomorrow cause I have to head to bed before I crash on my computer.  :P

Hope thats a little better to understand, I'll hopefully have more in depth information after I wake back up. All I'm really looking for is ways to improve the two boards whilst keeping to the same simple nature. I kind of curse the fact that the K.I.S.S. method of doing things was beaten into my head. It causes issues for me when designing circuits more complex. Practice however makes perfect.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf