Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z: Frequecy Counter Quirk or Technical Effect?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline DarkwingTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Let’s get dangerous!
Rigol DS1054Z: Frequecy Counter Quirk or Technical Effect?
« on: October 30, 2018, 01:18:23 am »
Hi Folks!

I now own a new Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope and I did some measurements. I measured the output of a transformer (230VAC to 12VAC) and I was expecting the 50Hz sine wave (Europe). It was there, but the frequency counter showed some weird value:

Can someone explain, why the counter is so wrong this time? With other measurements it was pretty spot on. What can be the reason? It also recongizes the 50Hz on input side correctly.

Thanks!

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Rigol DS1054Z: Frequecy Counter Quirk or Technical Effect?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 01:37:27 am »
Hardware frequency counter measures direct trigger output, which is not filtered. Enable 20 MHz bandwidth limit on the channel and the result is likely to change.
Alex

Offline DarkwingTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Let’s get dangerous!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 01:17:13 am »
Hm, as I recall, I had that option enabled. I switched between 20M and OFF and 20M ... it didn't change a thing.

But even if it had chaged the readings of the frequency counter: the question is: what in a simple transformer could cause the 50Hz signal to go crazy like that?  :o

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 01:26:40 am »
Hard to tell. Try moving trigger level up and down. This is related to the way trigger system interprets this signal.
Alex

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 01:33:30 am »
Hm, as I recall, I had that option enabled. I switched between 20M and OFF and 20M ... it didn't change a thing.

But even if it had chaged the readings of the frequency counter: the question is: what in a simple transformer could cause the 50Hz signal to go crazy like that?  :o

Yes, in the screenshot above you have Bandwidth Limiting selected. You can tell by the "B" in the Channel 2 vertical setting box at lower left.

Try setting the Trigger Source to AC. (in the front panel Trigger section press Menu > Source > AC )
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Thomas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 07:02:42 am »
Try triggering on an edge.
It looks like you have some kind of pulse triggering in the picture.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf