Author Topic: RIGOL DSO Software Utility w FFT, Level Grade, Float Accuracy Data Storage.  (Read 19100 times)

Online MechatrommerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
there is a new SW release for Window users that can download short and long (full) memory data from Rigol DSx000E/Z for documentation, storage and analysis. Not just that:

1) import signal from any instrumentations of higher bits (12, 16 bits etc for eg) that can produce CSV output file for higher precision FFT etc analysis.
2) deep memory FFT (currently up to 200Kpts for beta testing) but soon 20-200Mpts FFT is just right at the corner.
3) can interactive zoom-in, zoom-out, pan long memory data and deep memory FFT. THD measurement, peak finding, sort, center etc.
4) intensity/color/heat level grading for jitter and eye diagram analysis.

check it out: WinXP-Win10 32/64 bit tested:
http://www.soasystem.com/download/visadso/

some screenshots from:
http://www.soasystem.com/download/visadso/screenshot/screenshot.html

from the tweet, the MAKER is currently progressing to the Deep/Full Memory View Logic Analysis module... the release is to gather input on bugs while at the same time developing LA module... FWIW...

(copy paste from that another thread :P)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:19:55 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Do they know that Rigol still (last I cheeked at least) screw up the CSV data field for capture rate?  That will make some strange FFT results.

• Super Contributor
not that i'm aware of. what i know there are two CSV variant for the 1000Z. one from earlier FW and the other one from the latest 4.3.2.3 SP2 FW... if the capture rate is not correct, it can be easily edited in the CSV. FFT will come out the same, given the data samples are correct values, its just frequency element calculation will be off:

delta-freq (RBW) = sampling rate / N
nyquist (max) freq = sampling rate / 2

btw you can export CSV files from 12 or 16 bits devices and import into this App for more precise FFT calculation:

Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I tried to install (including Nightly Build Patch) and run this - but no luck (Windows 7 x64 SP1). Generates an APPCRASH immediately upon starting.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   VisaDSO.exe
  Application Version:   0.9.0.7
  Application Timestamp:   56f86519
  Fault Module Name:   MSVBVM60.DLL
  Fault Module Version:   6.0.98.15
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4a5bda6c
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   000640da
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   15b1
  Additional Information 2:   15b11d82ad60466c264f56e0fdb481fa
  Additional Information 3:   059d
  Additional Information 4:   059d96a0ebc914e494c45b7a1e4aee72

Offline Lizerd

• Contributor
    • www.lizerd.se
Nicely done  :-+

• Super Contributor
I tried to install (including Nightly Build Patch) and run this - but no luck (Windows 7 x64 SP1). Generates an APPCRASH immediately upon starting.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   VisaDSO.exe
  Application Version:   0.9.0.7
  Application Timestamp:   56f86519
  Fault Module Version:   6.0.98.15
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4a5bda6c
  Exception Offset:   000640da
  Additional Information 3:   059d
  Additional Information 4:   059d96a0ebc914e494c45b7a1e4aee72
thanks for your feedback Mark. i tried the latest build in Win10 and it runs ok. usually if its run ok in Win10, it runs ok in Win7 (Win10 is the most stringent) sorry, re-testing on Win7 requires me to jump several stair steps, opening doors, rebooting, etc. this is what i can gather from your report:

http://www.assistmyteam.net/KB/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=122:in-windows-7-team-timesheet-crashes-when-opening-and-closing-any-of-the-setting-panels&catid=3:team-timesheet-for-outlook&Itemid=33

Microsoft seems not to attend to this case though they assure to fully support Visual Basic applications on windows 7.  At the moment the only solution is to downgrade the msvbvm60.dll to Version 6.0.98.02 shipped with Windows XP. And doing so, all the problems should be solved.
1. Download the version 6.0.98.02 of Visual basic Runtime Library (i.e, ‘) from http://www.assistmyteam.net/downloads/files/msvbvm60_6.0.98.2.zip...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:48:48 am by Mechatrommer »

• Super Contributor
the download link is broken. i check MSVBVM60.DLL's version that came with the VisaDSO installation files (open in *.cab), its the 6.0.98.2 i guess during VisaDSO installation, the Win7 didnt overwrite its original bundled ver 6.0.98.15 with the one that is provided by the installation files. my suggestion is you need to manually force to copy MSVBVM60.DLL ver 6.0.98.2 into your system.

edit1: the link is not broken, i just put the wrong link to it (...) its now corrected.
edit3: testing with MSVBVM60.DLL ver 6.0.98.15 and 6.0.98.32 will be done soon.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:03:13 pm by Mechatrommer »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Looks really good Mech, I'll try this.
David2 was working on similar software to do long record length FFT on the Rigol. This one looks much more advanced.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
the download link is broken. i check MSVBVM60.DLL's version that came with the VisaDSO installation files (open in *.cab), its the 6.0.98.2 i guess during VisaDSO installation, the Win7 didnt overwrite its original bundled ver 6.0.98.15 with the one that is provided by the installation files. my suggestion is you need to manually force to copy MSVBVM60.DLL ver 6.0.98.2 into your system.

edit1: the link is not broken, i just put the wrong link to it (...) its now corrected.
edit3: testing with MSVBVM60.DLL ver 6.0.98.15 and 6.0.98.32 will be done soon.

Thanks for the response, Shafri, but it didn't fix the problem. Same thing happened again - except the problem details are now:

Fault Module Version:   6.0.98.2
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4802a186
  Exception Offset:   00063f5a
  Additional Information 3:   5425
  Additional Information 4:   54252e9e9d24ad32842a413882df65a4

I'm afraid I don't have anything but Win7 computers to test on - none of the later Win versions have seemed worthy of an upgrade hassle to me.

• Super Contributor
Thanks for the response, Shafri, but it didn't fix the problem.
please restore the original OS bundled ver 6.0.98.15 as i realized my test Win10 and Win7 here are using the OS bundled ver 6.0.98.15 MSVBVM60.DLL, not from the install files. i'm not sure whats your problem, but i will look into this matter and get back to you when i have solution. thanks and sorry.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Thanks for the response, Shafri, but it didn't fix the problem.
please restore the original OS bundled ver 6.0.98.15 as i realized my test Win10 and Win7 here are using the OS bundled ver 6.0.98.15 MSVBVM60.DLL, not from the install files. i'm not sure whats your problem, but i will look into this matter and get back to you when i have solution. thanks and sorry.

When I was installing, the Setup never asked me about potentially overwriting a newer version of MSVBVM60.DLL - but it did ask me about overwriting a newer version of (if I remember correctly) the ActiveX control COMDLG32.OCX, to which I declined. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but my current version is 6.1.97.82, while the one in your CAB file is 6.0.84.18.

EDIT: I'll try swapping the control and see if it makes any difference tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 11:38:27 pm by marmad »

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
Hi,

Just played around with this a little bit, and ran into an issue with the spectrum analysis: max frequency can only go up to 5 Hz! After some playing around, I found the rootcause: your software does not take into account the regional format settings. In the Belgium regional format settings (see screenshot of my settings on my Win7 pc) the use of dot and comma is different then in the US regional format. This causes stranges results with your application.

When I force my pc the US format, the spectrum works ok. The strange thing is, when I now swith back to Belgium format, the spectrum does not work at all anymore and crashes every time I try to visualize something (so I am not able anymore to make a screenshot of the 5Hz max range anymore...)

• Super Contributor
I found the rootcause: your software does not take into account the regional format settings. In the Belgium regional format settings (see screenshot of my settings on my Win7 pc) the use of dot and comma is different then in the US regional format. This causes stranges results with your application.
the comma decimal was thought out and tested at some point in the dev, for eq, you can input comma decimal when changing freq range in textbox (min, max, center, rbw). i will appreciate if you can provide and PM me with the data set (or at least number of points) that produce this misbehaviour, and at what stage (what button pressed) that cause it. in PM or email, thank you.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:26:37 am by Mechatrommer »

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
the comma decimal was thought out and tested at some point in the dev, for eq, you can input comma decimal when changing freq range in textbox (min, max, center, rbw). i will appreciate if you can provide and PM me with the data set (or at least number of points) that produce this misbehaviour, and at what stage (what button pressed) that cause it. in PM or email, thank you.
PM Sent

• Super Contributor
release update. version 1.0.0 BETA is now on site... 200Mpts FFT calculation and 300Kwfms/s level graded display is now enabled... fwiw...
http://www.soasystem.com/download/visadso/

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline zbyr

• Contributor
Thanks for this software, it's really useful (especially for exporting data as CSV it tooks an hour on scope!).
There is still bug with regional settings (if your default decimal separator in system is comma it crushes, changing regional settings that it's dot "fix" this problem).

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline zbyr

• Contributor
I wonder if you could make it possible to select bigger time scale when downloading full memor, for example if i capture long signal with deep memory to zoom in, i can't zoom out it as much as i want (i can't see whole signle data transfer if i record some protocols).

• Super Contributor
you can double click the time/div panel at the bottom right of the graph and select your desired time scale. the list will provide you up to about 12K points display only for performance reason, and down to about 7 points display. below the timescale panel there is small graph display showing full memory capture, you can click anywhere (and drag) to move to desired memory section.. you can also mousewheel up and down (or middle button click and drag) on the graph display to scroll memory bit by bit to the left or right if dragging the small graph below (full memory display) doesnt give you small enough movement. attached is example of long memory sine wave how to change timescale... fwiw...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:29:50 pm by Mechatrommer »

Offline zbyr

• Contributor
Yes i know about that, just 12k point is too few for me, didn't know that it is because of performance.

• Super Contributor
yes. iirc its for playback performance reason. how much points do you need? i find it difficult to process signal at 12Kpts. it is 6pts per pixel of my monitor already. maybe you can reduce your scope's capture rate somewhere at 5 - 10X the protocol rate? so you can see 1200-2400 bits in the visadso screen at one time? ymmv. but maybe i can consider to increase the display point later. middle button click and drag the graph will also slowly scroll the memory left and right to analyze your protocol.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 04:04:00 pm by Mechatrommer »

Offline zbyr

• Contributor
In fact i don't really need that many points i just need zoom out (maybe decimate) view. For example when i want capture few packets of digital data with slow transfer rate, i must use big amount of scope memory, because there is a long time of inactivity, and can't use segmented memory (which would be perfect for that) because segmented memory can't be exported to PC.

Offline zbyr

• Contributor
For example here is 3 packets of UART captured in single shot, i can't zoom out to see one whole packet at once.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:15:21 pm by zbyr »

Offline zbyr

• Contributor
In whole memory 6M, currently displayed 6k (max).

• Super Contributor
For example here is 3 packets of UART captured in single shot, i can't zoom out to see one whole packet at once.
i've increased the view points capability to 200K points in a screen, download the nightly build ver 1.0.2 (Beta)... http://www.soasystem.com/download/visadso/ please expect slower rendering though at larger points view... my advice still, you should capture your signal at an appropriate rate that a screen can comfortably display, ie somewhere 10X the data rate, but ymmv...

The following users thanked this post: zbyr

Offline zbyr

• Contributor
Thank you, now it's just perfect (and pretty smoth rendering too, i expcted worse).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf