Author Topic: Safety cover for pannel button  (Read 914 times)

Offline SaullTopic starter

• Contributor
Safety cover for pannel button
« on: July 18, 2018, 02:05:25 pm »
Hello,

I would need some safety covers for buttons mounted on panel so while we are fixing device someone is not able to turn it on(main switch cannot be turned off because of multiple devices powered from that panel). It should be easy mountable and removable.

Does somethink like this exsist.

Best regards Saull.

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
Re: Safety cover for pannel button
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:32:18 pm »
Depends on the style of the buttons or switches. Try searching for "safety electrical lockout" or "tagout".

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 02:59:12 pm »
You should check the safety codes for the country you are working in. For safety relevant switches, it is sometimes mandated that such switches should be behind a locked panel door, or that the switches are key switches where only the foreman or shop manager has the key.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 05:06:34 pm »
If the manager or foreman has a key to a lethal switch, I'd want to hold that key while I'm working on that circuit.

Google "circuit breaker lockout". There are devices for all sorts of circuit breaker types. Add your own padlock in most cases.

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 05:25:48 pm »
If the manager or foreman has a key to a lethal switch, I'd want to hold that key while I'm working on that circuit.

Google "circuit breaker lockout". There are devices for all sorts of circuit breaker types. Add your own padlock in most cases.

Yes of course. That's what I meant, badly phrased. The idea is, that there is only one key, which you "check out" from the manager when doing repairs. If everyone has a key, it's useless.

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 06:51:38 pm »
I have seen locking devices for valves, circuit breakers and, of course, some disconnect switches have locking handles.  I have never seen such a device for a push button.

Why not?  A push button is not a Lock-Out Tag-Out (LOTO) device.  It is a control device and does not serve to remove or isolate a source of energy.  An electrical oopsie during troubleshooting can simulate pushing the button.

The lock used for LOTO is MY lock.  I own it, I have the only keys and there is no master key.  If I screw up and leave something locked out when it shouldn't be, call me back in at my expense to remove the lock.  Cutting a lock should be a fireable offense.  My life, my lock!  Oh, and I need to put a tag on the lock explaining why the circuit is locked out.  It must have my name on it so the management knows who to call.

Everybody has reasons why things can't be turned off.  Well, call me back when they can!

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 12:02:04 am »
  Quite a problem, seen everywhere and everyone has it's own policies, you could hire a big man standing right next to the switch, carrying if necessary or not big enough.

Can't you unplug the thing you are working on? Couldn't be a plug be added to that line so you can unplug it? Then you could add a lock to the cord so they can't plug it back.

JS
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 12:25:50 am »
  Quite a problem, seen everywhere and everyone has it's own policies, you could hire a big man standing right next to the switch, carrying if necessary or not big enough.

And he is standing there thinking about what he didn't get last night and probably won't get tonight either!  Italian food (get your mind out of the gutter).

In this business, trust nobody!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf