Author Topic: SAIA PCA1 restoration + making programming console  (Read 1338 times)

Offline BendbaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
SAIA PCA1 restoration + making programming console
« on: August 27, 2016, 01:08:36 am »
Hi,

Here is something I've been working on for a little while. I have two plc's, SAIA PCA1 (made in Switzerland)
They are really good machines (I used to have three of them with the programming console but they somehow got lost), I've been playing with them a few years ago.
They are built around a 8085 processor.

Those two units I have now are coming from ebay. I bough then because they were cheap. One is working (when powered, whatever rom is in it is doing whatever it is programed for)

I attached some photo of the other unit, which is not working. I took it apart and still have to find the problem (I suspect the power supply)

I'm planning on reverse engineering it so I can modify and/or make my own I/O cards (they sell for around $100 a piece, too much for me)
But I have three major issues.

1. I don't have the book with the language anymore, it's some sort of basic, you don't program it in assembler.

2. I suspect the second unit also has a defective Basic Rom (uv eprom) because when I put it in the working unit, it seems to do some random stuff for a split second and then freezes.
I would like to find a valid copy of that rom. If I can't, I'll make a copy of the other, hoping it's 100% good.

3. I don't have the programming console anymore (reference is SAIA PCA2.P05) and I wouldn't mind being able to reproduce one. There is one for sale on ebay but it's for over $2000

I did contact SAIA Burgess but didn't get any answer, I'll try again.

The other thing is that I am a bit hesitant about how much I can put online when I reverse engineer it, I don't know where is the limit when it comes to patents; if there is still a valid one on that device.

If anyone has some informations, it'd be very helpful.

Thanks
Stop dreaming your life, start leaving your dreams.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf