Author Topic: Salvaged SMPS to bench supply  (Read 2250 times)

Offline RubiconJoeTopic starter

Salvaged SMPS to bench supply
« on: October 19, 2014, 01:20:18 am »
I salvaged what seems to be a pretty high end switch mode power supply. It is rated for 12V DC, 5A. Aside from trying to reverse engineer it to see how it works, I would also like to convert it into a variable bench supply for my lab. It is a relatively small unit and think it would be perfect for my bench.

What would be some things to consider for re-designed/modifying this supply?

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Re: Salvaged SMPS to bench supply
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 01:41:27 am »
What's pretty high end about it? Looks like a bog standard supply to me. And what's to reverse engineer? It's not the warp core from the Enterprise. There are so many resources out there on how these things work.

Here's what you need to consider:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Variable-DC-Lab-Bench-CV-CC-Power-Supply-0-18-VDC-0-3-Amps-NEW-/161442719954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2596bc68d2

and move on. You won't be able to even get just an enclosure with two posts going for that price.

There's no point anymore in building stuff like this yourself.

And let's not even get started about a newbie tooling around mains voltages. That sticker and silkscreen were there to warn *experienced* people!

IMO, YMMV, etc.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:50:11 am by Alex Eisenhut »
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline RubiconJoeTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:23:14 am »
Thanks for your input Alex.  It was just an idea I had when I came across it. Maybe not such a good one...

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 02:28:19 am »
Thanks for your input Alex.  It was just an idea I had when I came across it. Maybe not such a good one...

Here's some consolation though: those Chinese supplies will probably require some incoming inspection, ie, "take it apart!".

Keep your supply in your bin though.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 06:03:51 am »
What is a little different though is those thick film solder-in modules. I suspect those are the control circuits and there's no SMD stuff under the board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf