Author Topic: DIY preamp component choice  (Read 20724 times)

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
Re: DIY preamp component choice
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 11:04:46 am »
If I was to replace my current Rotel RC-970BX pre-amp (uses NE5532's-Sounds lovely on BBC Radio FM) I would choose this simple discrete design

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/B1%20Buffer%20Preamp.pdf

And I'd forget about all the MCU stuff. I love the sound of relays clicking though and the contacts are better quality than multipole switches so maybe I could be persuaded.

I've been looking at (planning on putting one together) that preamp for a while now. Have you heard one live? If so, can you give an example of comparison? I've heard so many wonderful things said about it but never actually had an opportunity to have a listen.

Not had a chance to build one yet. It's one of those things that would be nice to try but would be a lot of work. I'm quite happy with my current set up. This is turntable,CD,tuner,PC output feeds the Rotel pre-amp and the pre-amp outputs feed into 2 marchand active filters (2 hi frequency outputs and 2 low frequency outputs). The outputs of the active filters feed into 2 off Rotel RB-970BX stereo power amplifiers. This means each loudspeaker has its own amplifier directly coupled to it (2 Morel tweeters and 2 morel bass-midrange speakers). There are no passive crossovers between the amps and the speakers themselves.
The main weakness with my system at the moment is loudspeaker/room tuning as I cant tweak the response of the speakers easily (no passive crossovers to tune).
It still sounds pretty good though and I'm happy to keep it as it is for now.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:31:01 pm by djsb »
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline StubbornGreek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 04:24:42 pm »
@ cowana: This looks pretty neat. Do you plan on posting some measurements? When do you think you'll have it all together?

@ djsb: nice setup.
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline merlinb

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 04:00:33 pm »
You can get a PGA2310 with +/-15v rails, however it is amost twice the cost at Farnell, so I'd like to avoid using it.

Incidentally, you can get free samples of the PGA2310 and others from TI, if you can open an account (or know someone else who can).

Offline poptones

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 10:10:14 pm »
Anyone can, you just need a company name. Maxim, Atmel, Microchip - they all do it. National is sending me some LM4780s for my new power amp...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf