Author Topic: Schematic feedback please - uC controlled lights, multiple pwr sources  (Read 618 times)

Offline luxfxTopic starter

• Contributor
Newb hobbyist here. If I can get this working, it will be the first project I intend to get a PCB printed for. It's a learning project, I'm playing with lower power, uC sleep modes, switching power regulator (not using prefab modules), and running from multiple power sources (i.e. once wall power has switched on, it will stop draining the battery).

Let me stress the 'newb' part :)

The goal is to light up my workbench, which occupies a closet cabinet (it's nicer than it sounds). I want the light to fade in when I open the door. I'll be using a simple reed switch for the door and LED strip lighting with a 12V power brick. To save power, I don't want to just keep the power brick plugged in and control PWM to turn on and off the lights, so I'm using a relay (module for now, so the schematic doesn't show any supporting components) on the AC side. The microcontroller detecting the reed switch and controlling the PWM will run on 2-3V, mostly in sleep mode from the battery. The relay needs 5V so I need a boost converter to get it to turn on.

Once on, the power brick will create 12V output and power the lights (cue fade-in PWM from the uC). And also a 5V linear regulator that will take over supplying the power for the relay and the uC. The battery and boost converter can be disconnected at this point, and the wall power will keep the circuit going without further battery drain until the uC detects the reed switch closing again, at which point it fades out the PWM and turns off the relay. When the 5V linear regulator output drops, the battery and boost converter are reconnected for the cycle to restart.

Here's my schematic so far. I hope it's legible and looks ok, I'm also a newb with Fritzing. My basic questions are - 1) have I done anything stupid? and 2) does it look like it might work? I'm open to suggestions on the project generals but keep in mind I'm mostly trying to learn, so if I've made things overly complex it's just to try something out. I'm not trying to do this the best way.

Thank you!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf