Author Topic: Short circuit detection algorithm that doesn't false trigger?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline e100Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I'm trying to make a power supply that has short circuit detection, but ignores the brief current transient you typically get when charging up the decoupling caps on the device that is being powered.  For inspiration I looked at the data sheets of various voltage regulators but these give little or no information on how this is implemented within the device.

Currently to avoid false triggering I continuously calculate a rolling average of the current over a half second window. This seems to work ok on the bench. Is this the sort of algorithm used in commercial devices?

Offline Phoenix

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Short circuit detection algorithm that doesn't false trigger?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 01:02:57 am »
What sort of power supply is this? Most DC bench supplies have a constant current mode that effectively protects against short circuit.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:43:17 am »
What sort of power supply is this? Most DC bench supplies have a constant current mode that effectively protects against short circuit.

It's essentially a car battery with a solid state switch that powers a bunch of sensors at the end of 50 meters of cat5. There's a 0.2 ohm resistor in the low side that I use to measure the current with a microcontroller.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:07:04 pm »
Well, hoping that your PS has a current limiter for safety reasons, detecting a short-circuit condition may be as simple as monitoring the output voltage of your PS instead of monitoring the output current. If it's a 12V supply, you could set a threshold of 1V or 500 mV. Looks like a sure way of detecting a short.

Offline donpetru

• Contributor
  • !
    • PORTALUL TEHNIUM AZI
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:25:36 pm »
In this case it would be useful to attach schematic because I think you have wrongly placed that 0.2 ohm resistor as a current sensor !!!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 06:53:45 pm »
In this case it would be useful to attach schematic because I think you have wrongly placed that 0.2 ohm resistor as a current sensor !!!

The car battery is in my garden, not a car so there's no grounded metalwork to warrant a high side shunt resistor. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf