Author Topic: Simple Wireless Arduino Multimeter  (Read 8552 times)

Offline Thane of CawdorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Simple Wireless Arduino Multimeter
« on: May 15, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »
Hi everyone,

I wanted to make a wireless multimeter (really a voltmeter) out of two arduinos, one to transmit the data and one to receive so I can measure voltages from across the room :-DMM. I was hoping to connect the receiver to an LCD (simple 16x2). The analog input for the transmitter microcontroller would simply be a voltage divider. I wanted to know which wireless module/system I should use (easy and cheap preferably) and how I would encode and decode the data coming in and out of the modules.

Many Thanks

Offline Thor-Arne

• Supporter
  • tinker - tinker, little noob.....
Re: Simple Wireless Arduino Multimeter
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 03:14:38 pm »
You don't say anything about the distance between the modules, assuming short distance, have a look at the NRF24L01 modules.
These are quite available and inexpensive on ebay and there's tutorials on the arduino playground.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:22:18 pm »
There are Arduino-like products with built-in wireless.  My favorite is Moteino. It is the size of a postage stamp and has a great wireless module.
They include a pretty robust wireless protocol driver.  I used the more powerful RFM69 wireless modules.  Recommended.
I recently used 6 of them for a wireless tally-light system for a multi-camera studio. 

http://lowpowerlab.com/moteino/

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 11:40:43 pm »
There are Arduino-like products with built-in wireless.  My favorite is Moteino. It is the size of a postage stamp and has a great wireless module.
They include a pretty robust wireless protocol driver.  I used the more powerful RFM69 wireless modules.  Recommended.
I recently used 6 of them for a wireless tally-light system for a multi-camera studio. 

http://lowpowerlab.com/moteino/

I like the Moteino too. I did a short video review of these modules last year...
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 05:50:39 am »
Which one of  the  transceivers would be the simplest to interface to an Arduino?

Offline Thor-Arne

• Supporter
  • tinker - tinker, little noob.....
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 09:49:40 am »
I can only answer for the NRF24L01 modules.

These are simple to interface, and there's libraries readily available so coding needed to get it running is minimal.

Just google arduino nrf24l01

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 01:59:30 pm »
Which one of  the  transceivers would be the simplest to interface to an Arduino?

Those Moteino devices are BOTH and Arduino compatible platform, PLUS the wireless transceiver.  No need for another Arduino.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 12:56:44 am »
There are libraries for the HopeRF RFM12B and RFM69. 
For example here are the software for talking to the RFM12 from Arduino modules made by...
LowPower Lab ("Moteino") http://lowpowerlab.com/moteino/#programming
and JeeLabs ("JeeNode")  http://jeelabs.net/projects/jeelib/wiki

Google returns >6000 hits for: RFM12 Arduino library

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 02:16:04 am »
Thanks for all the responses, I will look into each module and see which one is best suited for me.

On another note, I have seen many projects where the transmitter would send a single character and get an LED or another output to turn on the receiver side. Is it possible to transmit the analogRead value instead of a single character somehow?

Thanks

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 03:56:12 am »
Sure, It will do whatever you program it to do.  Your DMM, and the Arduino, and the wireless link only operate on ones and zeroes,  There is no fundamental difference between "a character" and a reading from your DMM.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 02:04:10 pm »
Since I only require the Tx line of the transmitting Arduino, can't I just connect the data line of the module to the Tx pin of the microcontroller and connect the other module to the Rx pin of the receiving Arduino?

Thanks

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 02:20:19 pm »
I use and like the zigbee (xbee) modules.

its just rs232 that is wireless, in transparent 'easy' mode.

one cool thing that can be useful: if you have several stations tuned to the same channel, when one transmits they all hear it, so its like a poor man's multicast.

create a packet format where each station has a src and dest addr and you really can do multicasting that way.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 02:24:09 pm »
Since I only require the Tx line of the transmitting Arduino, can't I just connect the data line of the module to the Tx pin of the microcontroller and connect the other module to the Rx pin of the receiving Arduino?
Sure, if you are going for cheap and dirty. And zero fault-tolerance.  You scheme would work in a perfect world. But here in the Real World, we have noise and interference, and wireless data transmission uses techniques to provide reliable communication even in in a hostile environment.

Offline MLXXXp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 02:36:07 pm »
Sure, if you are going for cheap and dirty. And zero fault-tolerance.

You can add fault-tolerance to this scheme just by adding a checksum or other form of verification to each message. If the messages are transmitted often enough, and duplicated if necessary, the receiver can just ignore messages that don't verify. You could even add information to the message to allow some error correction, if you wish.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf