Author Topic: SMD prototyping  (Read 1492 times)

Offline MaxFristerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
SMD prototyping
« on: February 18, 2018, 05:31:11 am »
I've finally been forced to join the modern world and work with SMD parts.   For bread-boarding I've been soldering parts to pcb carriers and then soldering .1 headers to the pcb. 

This has worked okay until I tried to install one of these into a dip socket.  The .1 headers are too large.  It seems like a fine-wire header is required.

I saw these on ebay.  Can anyone tell me what the headers are called and/or a supplier for them?

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-SOP8-SO8-SOIC8-SOT-to-DIP8-adapter-PCB-convertor/323009796523)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:34:29 am by MaxFrister »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: SMD prototyping
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 07:16:08 am »
Those are machined headers. Easy to find on eBay under that name. I use them for just that kind of application.

The following users thanked this post: MaxFrister

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 07:28:07 am »
For what it's worth, the normal square headers should fit fine in a dual wipe socket - maybe not in the circular machined socket tops, but they do fit in others (though they may reduce the lifetime of it, since it's a right fit). the square headers also fit fine in breadboards, so the early prototyping phases they should still suffice for.

The following users thanked this post: MaxFrister

Offline carlz0r

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 04:58:43 pm »
As blueskull said, they are preci-dip headers. You can get them from digikey among other places.

Offline KhronX

• Frequent Contributor
    • Khron's Cave - Electronics Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:02:18 pm »
... Or if you can spare the height, just go with 0.1" pin headers, and use 0.1" socket headers to plug those into?
Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Offline ZomBiE80

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:46:16 am »
Those Preci-dip headers are originally meant for stacking PCB's, if anyone might think. (seems kinda obvious.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf