Author Topic: Stereo microscope - setting up the angles of the eyepieces, having problems  (Read 2425 times)

Offline SolderSuckerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
So I've just taken delivery of an AmScope, but despite doing some reading and watching assorted videos I just cannot seem to set things up perfectly.

Naturally I've set up the angles of the eyepieces as best as I can, but when I'm looking at a PCB it's annoying that even though the image is perfectly in focus I just can't get a really clear view due to the areas of darkness that I see either side with any kind of head movement (left, right, up or down). There's also overlapping mostly transparent dark rings which are obviously the eyepieces and due to the the angle of my eyes and head.

I'm using a Barlow 0.5x lens if that helps.

And yes, this is my first time using a stereo microscope (as if you hadn't guessed already).

Any ideas please what I'm doing wrong, or is what I'm experiencing perfectly normal for a stereo microscope with a 0.5x Barlow lens?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
I have an amscope but do not experience problems with overshadowing when touching the eyepieces rubber boots, however i am having a problem with one of the prisms in the optical path and i figured out that much depends on alignment of the prism assemblies, which are inside the scope casing. Possibly yours was not properly aligned? If you have warranty you may ask them to check it. There is a engineering term for it but i can't remember what it is called.

Edit: I too have a x0.5 lens installed
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 07:21:12 pm by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: SolderSucker

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
I found that it took a bit of getting used to the eye position when using a stereo microscope for the first time.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
My personal experience:
The use of a stereo microscope allowed me to realize that I had a weaker right eye than the left one.

Which led me to an optometrist, which corroborated my suspicion. I now wear prescription glasses.

The oculars in all stereo microscopes have adjustments to compensate precisely for that condition. Now I know that for my right eye I have to set it at +1.25 points

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Yes, could be your eyes, could be habit. It takes some time to get used to binocular microscopes. First times you tend not to converge right and see two images instead of one, or see parts of the eyepieces. Eyepiece spacing is also key. Just one mm off and you can have a hard time.

• Regular Contributor
Thanks for the replies. I do have a prescription for reading glasses (which I barely use as I am able to read fairly well without them, but not perfect as small writing gives me a problem) and I know that one eye is ever so slightly weaker than the other, but otherwise my eyes are good.

I currently find that the 'best' position (or as close as I can get) is to have the rubber eyecups slightly resting on the bridge of my nose (a little below where my glasses would normally sit). I guess I just need more practice and it's good to know that my experience is normal.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
No, that's not normal for a microscope. Once you have it dialed in, you see one image, not two circles.

have the rubber eyecups slightly resting on the bridge of my nose

I have an Amscope and I wear glasses. If you have a really big nose and narrow interpupilary distance, you might have a similar problem.

Try taking off the rubber protective rims from the eyepieces. With glasses on, I am not able to get close enough to the eyepiece. That fraction of an inch makes a huge difference. If your nose is touching the rubber rims, maybe you are having a similar problem.

That said, for the life of me I can't figure out how the bridge of your nose could be resting on the rubber rims. Does your face look like Josh Rosen's by any chance?

The eyepieces adjust in width. I know that sounds obvious, but I know a guy that never figured this out on his own and couldn't use a stereomicroscope until I showed him. i am a bit dubious that you have them set, properly. It sounds like they are too close together. Else you have a spectacular nose.

**All that said, i wonder. The distance between eyepieces can be adjusted, but the angle? I wonder if the angle remains the same. So that someone with a larger PD (interPupillary Distance, in optometry speak) will end up aiming their eyes "farther out." and someone with with a small PD will have to cross their eyes more.

My PD is on the larger side of average. My experience is that the image appears close to me, but my eyes have to do a "100 yard stare" kind of thing, which is disconcordant with how close the image appears. And immediately after using the microscope for a spell I find it taxing to focus on things that are up close for awhile. My eyes don't want to cross so much, anymore, to converge on things that are only a couple feet away. I wonder if this experience is lesser or even reversed for someone with a short PD.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:20:05 pm by KL27x »

• Regular Contributor
Hahah - yeah, my nose is pretty normal thanks.  :D

What I meant was the 'best' position is with the bridge of my nose touching the inside edges of the rubber cups.

Okay, so I tried with the cups removed (both with and without glasses) and it's definitely better without my glasses on - my not-weird nose doesn't touch the eyepieces.

I am though having a job holding my head steady enough, I prefer to lean against something - as things are right now the slightest movement causes dark crescents to start to appear at one edge or the other or overlapping circles, small circles, large circles and so on depending on how I move my head. Yes, I am seeing one image (depending on my head position).

Yup, I know about adjusting the width of the eyepieces. I've adjusted them as well as I can to create one image.

It's a pity that AmScope don't appear to have an official office in the UK (or Europe for that matter as far as I can tell) because if they did I'd phone them up and not bug anyone here. :) (I bought the scope (new) via Amazon UK).

BTW, are the eyepieces supposed to just lift out with no way of holding them in place?

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
BTW, are the eyepieces supposed to just lift out with no way of holding them in place?
Yeah, they slide in/out and are pretty much held in place by gravity.

I am though having a job holding my head steady enough, I prefer to lean against something
It is normal to have issues. It took me maybe a month to get the microscope situated into my workbench. If you are lazy, you may never get around to it. I had to modify my workbench to accomodate the space. I also had to modify my chair height with a longer gas ram, because my work bench is already 4" taller than a normal desk. So with the .5 Barlow, it was a bit tall. (This worked out great, because I'm tall, and I didn't even know gas rams were a standard size, and you can mix and match them out like this. Short people can't use my bench, at all, now.

I don't know what model you have, but another way to fine tune the height and head position is to tilt the scope a bit. This is an option on the more expensive stands. I find it way more comfortable to tilt the scope about 8-10 degrees, so I don't have to look down so much at the full 45 degree angle. And it also gives me a better view for almost everything electronics/soldering/inspection related. It kinda depends on how tall/thick the board/device you are viewing, too. The tilt is a good option to have. If your bench is on the short side, you might experiment with raising your pcb by putting wood board(s) underneath it until you get the spot that is 99.9% comfortable for your neck.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 11:00:45 pm by KL27x »

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
It is normal to have issues. It took me maybe a month to get the microscope situated into my workbench. If you are lazy, you may never get around to it. I had to modify my workbench to accomodate the space. I also had to modify my chair height with a longer gas ram, because my work bench is already 4" taller than a normal desk. So with the .5 Barlow, it was a bit tall. (This worked out great, because I'm tall, and I didn't even know gas rams were a standard size, and you can mix and match them out like this. Short people can't use my bench, at all, now.
Yes, you MUST adjust the bench so that the MICROSCOPE eyepieces are at the best level for you to see them without straining your neck.  ONCE that is done, then you may need a block to elevate the work to the right height for the microscope.  But, when you get it all worked out right, it will all be so much better.

I use the microscope WITHOUT my glasses.  Even though my eyes are RADICALLY different (like 2.5 diopter in one and 4 in the other!!) I get a much bigger field of vision without the glasses (I'm nearsighted, so my glasses make everything smaller) and with my eyes closer to the eyepieces, it all works better.  Then, you have to adjust the interpupillary setting on the microscope, and then set the adjustable eyepiece so that both eyes see the object in focus.  Then, SHOOT anybody who adjusts YOUR microscope to suit THEIR eyes!  It is a royal pain when I get it all adjusted to suit me, and somebody else comes in and tweaks it all so that can look at something for 5 seconds.

Jon

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
Re: Stereo microscope - setting up the angles of the eyepieces, having problems
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 12:55:26 am »
As above, you have to get the ergonomics right. Everything at the right height and alignment, then adjusted to your eyes. IMHO, using a stereo microscope should be easy and comfortable. If you have eye strain or trouble seeing a good 3D image, something's not right. There are also some lousy microscopes out there; not all are created equal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf