Author Topic: Switching power supplies tripping GFCI  (Read 11425 times)

Offline Rachie5272Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Switching power supplies tripping GFCI
« on: June 15, 2016, 04:03:44 am »
I built a four axis CNC machine, where each motor driver has its own integral SMPS (Zeta 4 driver).  For the most part it works great, but it keeps tripping the GFCI.  A bit of detective work reveals each driver leaks about 1 mA to ground, and the computer running everything leaks about 0.5 mA.  I'm in the US where nearly all GFCIs trip at 5 mA ±1 mA, so it's not surprising I'm having trouble with it.

What can I do to solve this?  I don't know where to get a GFCI with a higher trip current, if it's even labelled.  Do GFCI circuit breakers have a higher limit?

I'd simply remove the GFCI, but I think it's required by the electrical code.  The machine is technically in a garage, despite being a finished space which has never held a car.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
Re: Switching power supplies tripping GFCI
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 11:33:40 pm »
Hi

Put it on an isolation transformer.

Bob

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 11:40:40 pm »
Thinking 2 possible reasons.  :-//

Faulty X/Y rated caps in the PSU.
High neutral return currents relative to the size of cabling used and related to the distance back to the neutral/earth bonding link. In NZ that's at our POE switchboard and at submain distribution boards too. If in an out-building there's usually another earth rod as well.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 12:22:04 am »
This is what you get for running machine tools on a domestic grade supply.  I strongly suspect you have used 120V Zeta 4 drives.  If you'd used 240V Zeta 4-240 drives, on a North American 240V circuit, their line filters and stray capacitance to ground would be reasonably well balanced, cancelling out most of the earth leakage.

Talk to a good local electrician.  Have the make and model of your distribution board and the wire gague of the circuit to the 'garage' outlet handy.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 12:30:02 am »
I'm in the US where nearly all GFCIs trip at 5 mA ±1 mA, so it's not surprising I'm having trouble with it.
You have such options:
1) Replace GFCI with one with higher current rating.
2) Remove Y caps prom PSUs and use only one set of them externally before PSUs.
3) Replace Y caps in PSUs with some which have about 2x lower capacitance.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:38:11 am by wraper »

Offline Rachie5272Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 06:07:17 am »
A higher current GFCI would be great.  Where can I find one?  I've been searching for hours with no success.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 06:22:27 am »
Some AFCIs have high threshold GFCI functionality built in. Of course, then there's a possible problem of noise tripping it...
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 06:30:07 am »
You wont be able to find a higher trip current GFCI that meets the NEC code requirements for a domestic installation as class B GFCIs no longer comply.
See http://www.ecmag.com/section/codes-standards/special-purpose-gfcis

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 09:51:45 am »
5 mA? Really? We use 30 mA residential (as of 2005), and even then a lightning strike in the vicinity might trip them.
Don't you get nuiscance tripping all the time with only 5 mA GFCI, even without the CNC machine?

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 10:05:32 am »
You are most likely allowed to get an higher current gfci and make your cnc a permanent installation. Using a higher current industrial plug or permanent wiring.
Aks a local electrician.

I see that 5mA are in-socket GFCI for single personal appliance safety. You have those in europe as well for garden equipment. You can't run multiple equipment on those.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 11:16:38 am »
Hi

All of the rules on what you can and can't do in a situation like this are local rules. What I can do in this town may be different than what you can do in the next town over. Either you get involved directly with the local codes office (not recommended) or spend the (maybe) $100 on having a licensed electrician take care of it.

Bob

Offline Photon939

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 02:48:42 pm »
5 mA? Really? We use 30 mA residential (as of 2005), and even then a lightning strike in the vicinity might trip them.
Don't you get nuiscance tripping all the time with only 5 mA GFCI, even without the CNC machine?

It's usually never a problem unless you get some borderline faulty equipment. Even then most (older) houses in USA that I've seen use the GFCI outlets that protect one 15/20A circuit instead of one giant GFCI breaker in the power panel. That way a GFCI trip only turns off one circuit.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 03:08:33 pm »
GFCIs/RCDs are limited to maximum of 4 circuits over here. That could mean one GFCI in a somewhat older house, more modern houses will need more than one.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 03:12:35 pm »
GFCIs/RCDs are limited to maximum of 4 circuits over here. That could mean one GFCI in a somewhat older house, more modern houses will need more than one.

Hi

In most areas here, there are parts of the house that require protection. Most of the circuits do not get a GFCI on them. Areas where water and electricity are likely to mix are the main targets (kitchen, bathroom, garage, outdoor outlets).

Bob

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 03:59:58 pm »
Freedom Electricity Regulations are inconceivably unsafe if you ask me.
No gfci? They are mandator, all nen 1010. How many death by electrocition and fires due to electrical failure do you have over there?

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 04:20:52 pm »
No gfci? They are mandator, all nen 1010. How many death by electrocition and fires due to electrical failure do you have over there?

Hi

I have never heard of a problem associated with the in ceiling lighting and washer dryer type loads that are the majority of what is unprotected.

Bob

steverino

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 03:08:09 am »
I'm not 100% sure about this, but if you make the plug dedicated to the cnc machine, I don't believe it has to be GFCI rated because of the garage location.  You might have to swap it for a non duplex receptacle for it to be considered dedicated.  If it were me, I'd swap it out without worry.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 06:37:50 am »

Hi

I have never heard of a problem associated with the in ceiling lighting and washer dryer type loads that are the majority of what is unprotected.

Bob

Neither have I, but that doesn't mean these sort of things don't happen. Rules and regulations usually only come after things go wrong. We may try to put them in place to prevent accidents (think of drones righ now), but not until serious accidents start to happen for real will people actually feel the need.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 01:22:05 pm »

Hi

Bob

Neither have I, but that doesn't mean these sort of things don't happen. Rules and regulations usually only come after things go wrong. We may try to put them in place to prevent accidents (think of drones righ now), but not until serious accidents start to happen for real will people actually feel the need.

Hi

Upgrading 200 million electrical systems for problems that never happen does indeed cost money. If that money could save more lives spent another way ... it's not a rational thing to do.

Bob

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 03:25:26 pm »
That's not how they do it. New regulations come into effect on new stuff and renovations.
I'm sitting here in an apartment, built late 1950s. It has a distribution box with two fuses. Yes, that's it (apart from the parts that are from the utility company such as the meter and the main fuse).
Now, a new apartment would probably get at least 4 circuit breakers, a RCD and a master switch.

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2016, 03:42:09 pm »
In the apartament which we are renting right now, there are 7 fuses + 1 RCD for the entire apartment. All fuses are 10A rated with the exception of the one for ceiling lights which have 6A one due to part of the wiring being old aluminum stuff.

As for the leakage, check all the caps between earth lead and anything else. 1mA of leakage is very high (that's an insulation resistance of less than 0.5 megaohm which is very low.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk.

I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2016, 04:00:45 pm »
The fact that 5mA GFCIs are used outside some special (think about medical) cases is news to me. In Europe, it's always 30mA, and for a good reason, it gives just as good protection but is actually usable (so it can be used, not bypassed). 5mA GFCI sounds paranoid, and unusable as 5mA leakage quickly adds up from completely normal number of perfectly normal equipment, like a few computers. "False positives" is always a real safety issue in any safety system, because it will lead to people bypassing them in one way or another. Completely unusable and broken electrical system is not something people agree with...

So, you should fix your broken electrical installation first (by installing a proper 30mA GFCI), because your CNC equipment is most likely perfectly ok.

It's hard to believe that local electrical code requires this. If it does, your options are to move somewhere else, where they have heard about this great thing called "electricity" and it can be used legally; or to break the law.

Sidestepping the issue by modifying the equipment can be a real safety or EMC issue, causing actual problems. So here we see again how false security works against real security.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:03:59 pm by Siwastaja »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2016, 04:15:18 pm »
The fact that 5mA GFCIs are used outside some special (think about medical) cases is news to me. In Europe, it's always 30mA, and for a good reason, it gives just as good protection but is actually usable (so it can be used, not bypassed). 5mA GFCI sounds paranoid, and unusable as 5mA leakage quickly adds up from completely normal number of perfectly normal equipment, like a few computers. "False positives" is always a real safety issue in any safety system, because it will lead to people bypassing them in one way or another. Completely unusable and broken electrical system is not something people agree with...

So, you should fix your broken electrical installation first (by installing a proper 30mA GFCI), because your CNC equipment is most likely perfectly ok.

It's hard to believe that local electrical code requires this. If it does, your options are to move somewhere else, where they have heard about this great thing called "electricity" and it can be used legally; or to break the law.

Sidestepping the issue by modifying the equipment can be a real safety or EMC issue, causing actual problems. So here we see again how false security works against real security.

A 'proper' 30mA unit is not appropriate under the code in the US. The installation is not broken. Your preconceptions may be..

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 04:31:37 pm »
In the apartament which we are renting right now, there are 7 fuses + 1 RCD for the entire apartment. All fuses are 10A rated with the exception of the one for ceiling lights which have 6A one due to part of the wiring being old aluminum stuff.

As for the leakage, check all the caps between earth lead and anything else. 1mA of leakage is very high (that's an insulation resistance of less than 0.5 megaohm which is very low.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk.
1mA leakage is not very high. You can expect 0.5+ mA leakage current from computer PSU. 0.15-0.3 mA leakage is what I usually see from double insulated power plugs (which are not even grounded). My bench (PC+Monitors+test equipment) equipment together produces around 5mA leakage as measured few years ago. Should be more now as there are more equipment.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2016, 04:49:27 pm »
As it is the USA can you not simply have 4 separate GFCI outlets next to each other, feeding the CNC using 4 separate power leads.. Supply cable is rated to supply the 20A load of 4 outlets with a 20A breaker, but the GFCI is spread out so each power supply only has a small share of the load.

USA has GFCI at point of use, not like the rest of the planet at point of supply. Thus they have 5mA units, as the leakage from a single point is less likely to add up with a single load, while the 30mA is driven more by the need to protect an entire section of a dwelling or business including the wiring in the walls and the outlets themselves from leakage.

Thus in the USA you can retrofit a GFCI onto DCC rubber wiring even if it has a leakage current of 20mA without tripping, the leakage is upstream. Do that elsewhere and it will trip almost immediately from the leakage current.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf